Winter Program Instructor
YMCA Wanakita - YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford
1883 Koshlong Lake Road
Rate of Pay: $160/day
Position Status: Contract
Placement: January 3rd, 2022 – March 20th, 2022
Nature & Scope:
The Winter Outdoor Centre Program Instructor is a contract position responsible for delivering and facilitating recreational and educational programs throughout the season. The instructor is primarily responsible for programming (cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice sports, winter survival, camping, and winter ecology/nature programs) and program/site support; but will also have opportunities to act as a facilitator and liaison to visiting groups. The Program Instructor will report directly to the Program Coordinator under the supervision of the Outdoor Centre Director. A room and board package is available at $85.25/week for private accommodation.
- Facilitate programs for school, adult, family and other special interest groups during weekdays and weekends;
- Act as the liaison with teachers, group leaders and other small staff teams;
- Provide site support including set-up of all program areas and maintenance of trails and program equipment as well as assisting the site service staff in general site maintenance in and around the YMCA Wanakita site;
- Maintain continuity and quality in programs by working cooperatively with all participants and other program and non-program Wanakita staff;
- Reinforce and model all COVID-19 risk reduction protocols in place, including distancing, masking and enhanced cleaning of equipment and buildings.
- Minimum certifications in Standard First Aid, CPR C (WFA/WFR is considered an asset);
- CANSI Nordic Ski Instructor certification is considered an asset;
- Challenge Course Practitioner Certificate from an A.C.C.T. accredited trainer is considered an asset;
- Previous experience in Winter Camping/Outdoor Education/Recreation Field;
- Current (within 6 months of contract start date) vulnerable sector screening is a condition of employment;
- If you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid Human Rights Exemption
Child and Youth Focused
- Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
- Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
Concern for Health and Safety
- Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
Creativity and Innovation
- Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve the desired results.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford encourages employees within the Association, as well as those employed within the Canadian YMCA/YMCA-YWCA Federation to submit their application.
Please note that in so doing, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford reserves the right to contact the applicable YMCA or YMCA-YWCA for purposes of seeking an employment reference throughout the recruitment process.
Please ensure that prior to submitting your application that you have disclosed to your current supervisor, your intention to submit your application. By submitting your application, you understand and agree to allow the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford to contact your current Association.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.
Housing is available on site subject to availability. Wanakita’s Room and Board rate is $85.25 per week inclusive of single-room accommodation and meals. Living on-site is not mandatory however the incumbent must be readily available and present during assigned shifts.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.