Whitewater Canoe Instructor/Canoe Tripper
Job Title: Whitewater Canoe Instructor/Canoe Tripper
Reports to: Camp Directors and Program Directors
Supervises: Whitewater Canoe Participants/Canoe Trip Participants
Start date: June 23, 2024 (can arrange for earlier start date)
End Date: August 10, 2024 (can arrange for later end date)
Cedar Ridge Camp provides a classic camp experience for children from Ontario and around the world. We offer a safe, friendly atmosphere for children ages 6-16 to develop physical and emotional skills while learning to live together comfortably in an outdoor environment. While developing an appreciation for the natural setting, Cedar Ridge campers and staff develop self-confidence and independence, creating friendships that last a lifetime. We believe that canoeing is integral to our Canadian identity and is an important part of the program at Cedar Ridge.
Job Goal / Summary:
As a Cedar Ridge Staff member, your primary concern is the physical and mental health and wellbeing of campers. Specifically, the Whitewater Instructor/Canoe Tripper is responsible for safely teaching beginner to intermediate Whitewater Canoeing skills during day trips to Palmer Rapids. The Whitewater Instructor will be responsible for working with staff and LIT’s (Leaders in Training) to ensure the safety of all participants, and the quality of all whitewater programs. This includes safely swimming in rapids, tandem canoe instruction, running rapids sets, and other areas as required. We are looking for a staff member who would also be able to lead campers on overnight canoe trips (flat water or moving water). Responsibilities would include leading or assisting with the planning of a trip, packing for trip, meal planning, and ensuring the safety of all participants on the trip.
Cedar Ridge Camp is located on Wanamaker Lake in the Madawaska Highlands region of Ontario. While at camp, you will have access to all facilities and equipment while enjoying a daily camp routine filled with incredible programming and unique experiences. This position is for you if you want a valuable, enriching summer job experience and a chance to develop leadership skills in a safe and supportive setting. Please check our website for more information about Cedar Ridge (cedarridgecamp.ca).
Qualifications and Certificates:
- Standard First Aid/Wilderness First Aid
- NLS swim level
- ORCKA moving water/river running instructor qualification (or equivalent)
- ORCKA tandem canoe qualification (or equivalent)
- Swiftwater rescue (or equivalent)
- Valid Canadian or International Driving License
- Participate in mandatory training during pre-camp (June 23-28)
- Lead whitewater day trips several days a week
- Lead/plan/co-plan canoe trips as required during the summer
- Uphold health and safety standards
- Upkeep of the whitewater and trip equipment
- Taking on the general responsibilities of a Cedar Ridge Staff Member
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform this job.
- Able to portage and move canoes on and off of a trailer
- Able to portage and move canoes at the river
- Able to be active for long periods of time
How to Apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the position you are applying for. Include a resume plus any other pertinent information. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.