Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay:Starts at $125.20 per day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 17th to September 3rd, 2022
Reports To: Assistant Summer Camp Directors, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Wellness Director.
The Wellness Director provides support in all areas of camp to ensure a healthy and safe camp environment for participants and staff, physically, socially, and emotionally. They ensure a clean and healthy camp environment is maintained through regular check-ins with campers and staff, facility audits, and supporting staff in providing a high degree of care for campers.
The Wellness Director also has responsibility for camper information systems at camp, including parent communication and confidential camper information. Record keeping and general health for campers and staff will be a constant concern for the Wellness Director.
The Wellness Director is a member of the senior staff team at camp. The senior staff team will work directly with the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Summer Camp Directors as a leadership team to build a positive camp culture and ensure the safety and overall wellbeing of all camp participants.
- · Provide direct supervision to the Wellness Assistant. Provide leadership and role modelling to all staff.
- · Assist with developing and delivering innovative health and wellness training for staff & volunteers.
- · Organizing, scheduling, and administering all participant medication and ensuring staff members are aware of this schedule.
- · Communicate regularly with parents/guardians to keep them informed of any health/wellness concerns or questions regarding their children while they are at camp.
- · Regularly administer first aid and respond to any health/wellness concerns for participants at camp.
- · Ensure the Wellness Centre and all first aid kits at camp are adequately stocked with supplies.
- · Organize all health forms for participants and ensure each camper family has completed the form prior to arriving at camp. Keep a written record of all Wellness Centre activity.
- · Advanced First Aid (40+ hours), CPR-C
- · Minimum 3 years in a nursing program
- · Experience working in a healthcare field with children
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 successful reference checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · RN or recent graduate of a nursing program
- · Occupational First Aid Level 3
- · Class 4 Driver’s License
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.