Number of Positions: 1
Reports To: Manager of Camp Operations
Compensation: $115/day plus room and board
Location: Camp Merrywood (MWC)
Employment Dates: June 1, 2022 – August 30, 2022 (Full-time, onsite)
Reporting to the Program Director, the Waterfront Director is an integral part of the Leadership Team and shares responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture. The WD directly supervises the lake front and pool Program Counsellors including sailing, canoeing, kayaking, and swimming Program Counsellors and is responsible for overseeing the planning, implementation, risk-management, and reporting related to all waterfront activities, ensuring a safe and camper-focused experience.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Work as an integral member of the Leadership Team.
- Assists in planning staff training/pre-camp and provides opportunities for staff development throughout the summer and shares responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture
- Develop and implement a risk management plan.
- Be familiar with the OCA standards, the Ontario Regulation 503/17: Recreational Camps and Ontario Regulation 494/17: Public Pools.
- Develop program goals that follow Easter Seals Ontario camping goals & objectives.
The Waterfront Director will
- Prepare and implement the training program for the pool/waterfront staff.
- Ensures that the waterfront programs are challenging, of a high quality, creative and safe for campers of all ages and abilities.
- Conduct ongoing waterfront program evaluations to ensure that the programs are meeting the needs of the campers.
- Pro-actively identify and solve problems and areas of concern.
- Meet regularly with the waterfront staff.
- Remain visible and accessible by participating in camp programs and assisting in cabins where required.
- Supervise and evaluate the Waterfront Staff on a regular basis, both formally and informally based upon their personal goals and job description and provide them with a written and oral evaluation throughout their contract.
- Ensure proper completion and timely submission of all reports.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies and procedures as detailed in the Camp Resource manual, and Leadership Team Manual.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager of Camp Operations.
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Ability to communicate and work with groups and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper and staff behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Able to manage lifting, some bending, stooping and stretching as well as daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
Minimum 3 years waterfront experience is required. Excellent leadership, communication and teambuilding skills required. NLS, Red Cross or Lifesaving Society Instructors Certification, Pleasure Craft Operator Card, CPR and Standard First Aid required prior to the start of the camp season.
- Work part-time offsite from February-May and full-time onsite from June – August.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season; meals provided during camp sessions.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
- Required to be on-call for one of the changeover periods during the summer.
How to Apply: Please complete our online application form, which can be found at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.