Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $129.53-132.53/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 17th – September 2nd, 2023
Reports To: Assistant Summer Camp Directors, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Waterfront Director.
The Waterfront Director is responsible for planning and operating a safe and effective waterfront program, including swimming, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, sailing, and other waterfront activities.
Specific duties include overseeing all aspects of water-based programming, ensuring all waterfront programs meet our high-risk management standards, supervising and supporting the water-based program staff, and ensuring that all staff are familiar with the waterfront emergency procedures. The Waterfront Director must have extensive camp, lifeguarding, and ocean waterfront program experience.
The Waterfront Director is a member of the senior staff team at camp. The senior staff team will work directly with the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Summer Camp Directors as a leadership team to build a positive camp culture and ensure the safety and overall wellbeing of all camp participants.
· Provide direct supervision to the waterfront program staff. Provide leadership and role modelling to all staff.
· Assist with developing and delivering innovative training that supports professional development of staff & volunteers. Ensure all staff are familiar with waterfront emergency procedures.
· Ensure that all waterfront policies/procedures and Camp Elphinstone’s high risk management standards are met at all times by all participants, staff, volunteers, and guests while at the waterfront.
· Assist the Program Director in planning and scheduling waterfront programs and events.
· Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Class 4 Driver’s License
· Pleasure Craft Operators Card
· Previous experience in aquatics, camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Lifesaving Instructor
· Paddle Canada certification
· CANSail Instructor