Evans Lake Forest Education Center
Love channeling a hard-working and enthusiastic team to really make a difference? The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) is the primary person in charge of overseeing our summer volunteer program, which supports our unique vision. Through the summer, we have approximately twenty volunteers who are at camp to supplement our program, facilities, and food services teams. The VC liaises with the mangers of those three areas to assess needs for particular projects or re-occurring support before designing a schedule for the Volunteer Work Crew. The VC will participate in the general Pre-Camp Training for program staff, but will also orchestrate volunteer training. Given that all staff and campers stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while camp is in session, the action never stops. Applicants should enjoy working in dynamic work environments. Very strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must for this role, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
• Assist with hiring and scheduling volunteers
• Liaise with the facilities, food services, and program managers to create a project schedule for the summer
• Organize and facilitate volunteer training. Provide supervisory support, mentoring, and evaluation to all volunteers • Work with the Volunteer Work Crew to host day-camp groups and community outreach events, as needed
• Assist with the general administration of programs and with ongoing camp events & activities
• Assist with camper, volunteer, staff, and luggage transport from pick up/drop off points
• Assist in coordinating overnight hikes and offsite activities, including gear management
• Other duties as assigned (e.g. driving campers, volunteers, staff members, or supplies; working as an instructor)
- Summer Camp: July 3rd through August 26th. Instructor training: June 18th and 19th. Pre-Camp: June 25th to 29th
- Rental Groups (e.g. visiting school groups): April, May, & June; September & October
- Exact start/end dates may be negotiated. Applicants do not need to be available for all seasons, but preferencemay be given to candidates who can begin in late March and continue through to the end of October
• Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures. Take ownership for the safety of campers, staff, & volunteers Reporting and Evaluation
• The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the Program Manager and receives mentoring & coaching from senior staff • A goal-setting & evaluation process will be initiated by the Program Manager
• Continuous feedback and communication amongst staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- First Aid Certificate (at minimum an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
- Class 5 driver’s license (experience driving a truck and trailer is desirable)
- Additional certifications are assets, including a Class 4 driver’s License, advanced first aid (e.g. Occupational LevelII), NL lifeguarding, and certifications in paddling, rock-climbing, and outdoor recreation & leadership
- Compensation begins at $134/day, with an increase of up to $7/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board is also included when programs are in session.
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB*If follow up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).