Do you love channeling a hard-working and enthusiastic team to make a difference? The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) is the primary person in charge of overseeing our summer volunteer program, which supports our unique vision. Over the summer, we have approximately twenty volunteers at camp to supplement our program, facilities, and food services, teams. The VC liaises with the managers of those three areas to assess needs for particular projects or reoccurring support before designing a schedule for the Volunteer Work Crew. The VC will participate in the general Pre-Camp Training for program staff and orchestrate volunteer training. Given that all staff and campers stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while camp is in session, the action never stops. Applicants should enjoy working in dynamic work environments. Solid organizational and interpersonal skills are a must for this role, and a yearning for an endless summer!
- Assist with hiring and scheduling volunteers
- Liaise with the facilities, food services, and program managers to create a project schedule for the summer
- Organize and facilitate volunteer training.
Provide supervisory support, mentoring, and evaluation to all volunteers
- Work with the Volunteer Work Crew to host day and overnight camp groups and community outreach events, as needed
- Assist with the general administration of programs and with ongoing camp events & activities
- Assist in coordinating overnight hikes and offsite activities, including gear management
Work Transport Bus stops from metro Vancouver/ Squamish as needed.
- Other duties as assigned (e.g. driving campers, volunteers, staff members, or supplies; working as an instructor)
- Staff training – June 24th to 28th, 2023
- Summer – July 2nd through August 25th, 2023
- Preference may be given to candidates who can begin in late March/early April and extend through late October
- Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures.
- Take ownership of the safety of campers, staff, & volunteers
Reporting and Evaluation
- The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the Program Manager and receives mentoring & coaching from senior staff
- The Program Manager will initiate a goal-setting & evaluation process
- Continuous feedback and communication among staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- First Aid Certificate (at minimum an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
- Class 5 driver’s license (experience driving a truck and trailer is desirable)
- Additional certifications are assets, including a Class 4 driver’s License, advanced first aid (e.g. Occupational Level II), NL lifeguarding, and certifications in paddling, rock-climbing, and outdoor recreation & leadership
- Criminal reference check with a vulnerable sectors search, no later than six months prior to the start date
- Compensation begins at $134/day, with an increase of up to $7/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board is also included when programs are in session.
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB
*If follow up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).