Trip Logistics Coordinator
|Pay within range based on years of transferrable experience
Daily Rate: $126.00 – $130.00 Weekly Rate: $756.00 – $780.00
|Location: YMCA Camp Pine Crest, Torrance, Ontario (Transportation to camp is available at the beginning and end of the summer)||Work Hours: Must be available to work 6 days a week between Monday – Sunday, with days off predetermined by supervisor|
|Employment Type: Seasonal Contract||Number of Vacancies: 1|
|Anticipated Start Date: April 30, 2023||Deadline to Apply: February 17, 2023|
Be the Spark! Join our dynamic team a YMCA Camp Pine Crest, where every day is different, and you will always be engaged with meaningful work!
YMCA Camp Pine Crest is an overnight camp serving children, families, and organizations through naturally focused programs that embody the mission, vision, and outcomes of the YMCA. Camp Pine Crest is made up of 650 acres of Muskoka wilderness surrounded by 3 interconnected lakes with 8km of shoreline; has over 26km of hiking trails and 7,500 sq. ft. of dock, and has 60 buildings.
The Trip Logistics Coordinator oversees the overall operation of the out-tripping department, coordinating roughly 240 camper and leadership trips throughout the summer ranging from 1 – 38 days in length. The OP Director must be able to manage many tasks at one time and be able to prioritize them appropriately while maintaining ongoing and clear lines of communication with all main areas of camp. This staff member is expected to support the Assistant Out-Tripping Directors in daily operations, as well as the Senior Leadership Trainers, and provide timely, constructive, and ongoing feedback to both. The Trip Logistics Coordinator must also feel confident in their ability to manage a budget, as they will be in charge of managing all travel costs and program supply purchasing. They must possess the maturity and understanding to support staff in the field, respond to trip emergencies, and coordinate evacuations if necessary. Along with the Outdoor Pursuits Director, the Trip Logistics Coordinator must ensure that all Pine Crest expectations and procedures are being followed to meet our risk management expectations for extended trips as well as camper trips.
In this role, you will:
- Responsible for out-trip program quality and development, trip logistics, and the smooth operation of the OP department.
- Work closely with other departments cooperating to support campers in a tripping context, making sure their fundamental needs are met.
- Work closely with others on the supervisory team to create driving schedules and food orders.
- Collaborate to plan and deliver training to all staff to prepare them for their roles related to wilderness tripping, supervising Senior Leadership programs, and supporting all other leadership programs.
- Continuously builds relationships with members, staff, volunteers and community partners.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviors in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member-focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with participants, volunteers, donors, and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum 21 years of age by the start of the contract
- Wilderness First Responder, NLS, Pleasure Craft Operator Card, Food Handler’s Certificate, F Class driver’s license by the first day of employment and valid until at least the last day of your contract
- Extensive knowledge of canoe tripping in regard to white water, flat water, and sea kayaking
- Minimum 2 years previous experience supervising staff in a camp or wilderness-related setting
- Demonstrated ability to lead and empower an inclusive staff team
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Ability to provide mentorship and guidance to both inexperienced and seasoned staff
- Ability to deliver feedback in a timely, professional, and constructive manner
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, including days, evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays required
- Must be a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident of Canada, or hold current and valid authorization (i.e., a work permit) under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to engage in employment within camping and outdoor education
If you are interested in this position and do not possess the necessary certifications and require assistance in attaining them, please indicate in your cover letter. Certain certifications may be eligible for Financial Assistance through the YMCA of Greater Toronto, or through referral to additional programs outside the YMCA that offer similar support. Eligibility is to be determined on an individual basis.