Training Academy Operations Coordinator
Training Academy Operations Coordinator
Outward Bound Canada is committed to inclusion and strives to have broad representation that reflects the diversity of Canada. We encourage applications from candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour or People of the Global Majority, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
WHO WE ARE
Outward Bound Canada (OBC) is a charity that equips youth for the future through adventures in nature. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to prepare youth with skills to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. Read about the impact of our work and our statement on Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Training Academy for Outdoor Professionals is an OBC initiative to address challenges for workers and employers in the outdoor industry related to high unemployment by providing training for aspiring outdoor instructors. Equally importantly, it will address barriers to access for marginalized populations to ensure Canada’s next generation of outdoor sector employees reflect Canada’s diversity.
The Operations Coordinator ensures the successful delivery of Training Academy programs by ensuring smooth logistics and highly organized systems leading up to, during, and following each course. Familiarity with region, terrain, operating areas, and skill type is required to understand and support the needs of Instructor Trainers and Academy students. The Training Academy Operations Coordinator will work closely with regional staff and Academy Instructor Trainers to optimize resources. Areas of responsibility include food systems, gear, booking permits and accommodations, driving, and on-call support as needed. The Operations Coordinator is adaptable and responsive to evolving circumstances such as environmental or pandemic related considerations, making adjustments to routes and schedules as needed. This role requires availability outside of normal business hours during the operating season, including the possibility of going into the field to assist with evacuations. Therefore, the successful candidate should have a basic level of competency in backcountry travel.
Outward Bound Canada instructors are encouraged to apply, and there may be possibility to work OBC field courses in addition to this role.
WHAT WE OFFER
Location: Minden, ON
Salary: $45 000 to $50 000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package and Employee Assistance Plan
Term: Full Time Salaried Contract (37.5 hours per week), 1 year contract term with the possibility of extension
Supervisor: Regional Manager
Application Deadline: Open Ended/ Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Anticipated Start Date: April 2022
OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
- Bookings of campsites, transportation, permits, in-town accommodation and food services
- Organization (including an up to date inventory) of gear at regional base
- Prepare gear for field courses, support courses with post-course cleaning and maintenance of gear
- Prepare food for field courses, working with Admissions department and local food service providers to ensure dietary needs of students and Instructor Trainers are met
- Maintain relationships with course suppliers such as drivers, campground managers, and rental outlets
- Vehicle maintenance and cleaning
- Driving students and Instructor Trainers to and from course start as required
- Prepare pre- and post-course paperwork for Instructor Trainers
- Implementation of Covid protocols
- Solicit feedback and provide ongoing evaluation of systems for continual improvement
- Ensure Training Academy programs are run in accordance with risk management protocols
- Stay informed of local weather advisories, fire bans, and other relevant information that may impact field operations
WHAT YOU BRING
OBC recognizes relevant skills and knowledge can be gained through volunteer and life experiences as well as professional and educational backgrounds. Please outline in a brief cover letter how you have gained the following experiences, and how you would apply them to this role:
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19
- Clear Vulnerable Sector check
- Driver’s license: Class 4 (AB), G Class (ON), or ability to obtain prior to contract start
- Organized, systems-thinker with keen eye for detail
- Demonstrates cultural humility and an inclusive approach to interpersonal interactions with participants and colleagues
- Experience with backcountry travel and high level of familiarity with trip logistics related to group expeditions
- Thorough understanding of risk management considerations for groups in the backcountry particularly as it relates to operational logistics
- Experience repairing outdoor gear or willingness to learn independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and adept at working both independently and collaboratively
- Solution-focused; able to take responsibility, work unsupervised, troubleshoot problems and adapt to changing needs or circumstances
- Personal commitment to equity and inclusion in the outdoors
- High level of cross-cultural competence, in recognition that Outward Bound Canada works with students and partners from a diversity of communities and backgrounds
- Passionate about the Outward Bound Canada mission, an interest in outdoor pursuits, and a desire to help get young people outdoors for transformative experiences
- Experience facilitating group programs and supporting challenging student behaviours
- Wilderness First Responder and relevant professional professional certifications determined by region (ex: ON – Bronze Cross and Paddle Canada, AB – ACMG AHG, BC – SKGBC AOG)
A key goal of the Training Academy is to diversify the skilled workers in the outdoor industry. We believe that communities that have been historically underrepresented must be centered in the work we do. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people who will increase representation, and invite applicants to outline their unique perspectives in their application.
Apply for this position by submitting your cover letter and resume as one PDF using this form.
Explore other current job openings at Outward Bound Canada.