Outward Bound Canada
Position: Toronto Instructor
Immediate Supervisor: Toronto Program Manager
Location: Toronto, ON
Start date: June 2, 2021 – September 7th, 2021 (with possibility of extension)
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Outward Bound Canada has prioritized the health and wellbeing of our employees, participants and the wider community. As of August 2020, we resumed some of our programs and implemented new COVID-19 Field Procedures to prioritize the health and safety of staff and participants. We are looking forward to a renewed connection with youth in nature in 2021.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Outward Bound Canada operates an urban outdoor program in and around the GTA as a complement to our wilderness programming. This program pairs canoeing, backpacking, and urban navigation to provide continuous journeys through the natural spaces in and around our cities. We are striving to provide life-changing outdoor educational experiences that are accessible, relevant and contribute toward a better world. Our students include both school and community groups as well as individuals looking for a journey in their own backyard ranging from 1-15 days long. Outward Bound Canada is looking for an enthusiastic, hardworking individual who has the credentials and capacity to work at the Toronto Urban Centre providing exceptional educational programming to students, teachers, and schools.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the health and well-being of students while on program.
- Develop program plans and curriculum for expeditions.
- Effectively utilize group and risk management skills, maturity and role modeling to create a safe and supportive environment for student-centered learning.
- Provide direct customer care for participants and their families/teachers/agencies.
- Complete various program related administrative documents and tasks.
- Manage in-field risk management decisions including the mitigation of infectious disease
- Coordinate the transfer of course information to Program Manager and Course Director.
- Organize and facilitate the program evaluation process.
- Participate in the training and mentoring of staff in program delivery procedures.
- Achieve the objectives of the Outward Bound Canada National Safety Policy.
- Complete risk management briefings and debriefings with Program Manager and Course Director.
- Facilitate all incident reporting processes.
- Monitor, assess and evaluate students.
- This position will take place in Toronto, ON and surrounding GTA.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Ability to model and teach outdoor travel and living skills in Urban environments.
- Well-practiced in communicating effectively with a high level of professionalism.
- Technical and interpersonal excellence, effective in facilitating clients through the broad range of emotions experienced on our courses.
- Experience working with youth in an outdoor setting.
- Experience on extended wilderness trips .
- Ability to facilitate and lead both youth and adults of various abilities.
- Experience in adventure and experiential educational module delivery.
- Understanding and application of Outward Bound methods and philosophy.
- Skilled in behaviour management, crisis intervention and problem solving.
- Ability to facilitate and program ground initiatives, low ropes, rock climbing and high ropes elements.
- Ability to develop and deliver creative cross curricular programming.
- Focus on providing high levels of customer service.
- Ability to be a significant contributor to several small teams.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and multitask under deadlines.
- Strong written communication and computer skills, including Word, Excel, and database programs.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) OR Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA)
- Bronze Cross / NLS
- Post-secondary education in one of the following fields: education, recreation, therapy (asset)
- Paddling Certification (asset)
- Certified Teacher (eg: OCT an asset)
- F-Class (or equivalent) Driver’s License (asset)
- Level I or Level II Ropes Course Instructor certification (asset)
- Full time (6 month contract), pay range: $45,000 – $50,000/yr (prorated to contract duration) & benefits
- Seasonal Instructor, pay range: $150-250/day
READY TO APPLY?
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database: click here
Please identify the position as “Toronto Instructor” when you apply.
If you encounter any problems our online application process please email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond the technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process.