Swim Instructor / Lifeguard
Job Title: Swim Instructor/Lifeguard
Reports to: Waterfront and Program Directors
Supervises: Swim LITs and Participants
Start date: June 26, 2023
End Date: August 12, 2023
Cedar Ridge Camp provides a classic camp experience for children from Ontario and around the world. We offer a safe, friendly atmosphere for children ages 6-16 to develop physical and emotional skills while learning to live together comfortably in an outdoor environment. While developing an appreciation for the natural setting, Cedar Ridge campers and staff develop self-confidence and independence, creating friendships that last a lifetime. We believe that swim instruction is an integral part of camp and it is therefore an important part of the program at Cedar Ridge.
We are located on Wanamaker Lake in the Madawaska Highlands region of Ontario. While at camp, you will have access to all facilities and equipment while enjoying a daily camp routine filled with incredible programming and unique experiences. This position is for you if you want a valuable, enriching summer job experience and a chance to develop leadership skills in a safe and supportive setting. Please check our website for more information about Cedar Ridge (cedarridgecamp.ca).
Job Goal / Summary:
As a Cedar Ridge Staff member, your primary concern is the physical and mental health and wellbeing of campers. Specifically, Swim Instructors are responsible for safely teaching swim courses during daily program sessions, as well as lifeguarding on the waterfront during free swim. Swim Instructors are responsible for working with staff and LITs (Leaders in Training) to ensure the safety of all participants, and the quality of all swim programs.
Candidates should have the following qualifications and certificates, or be willing to obtain them before the start of camp:
- Standard or Emergency First aid (required)
- Lifesaving Society Instructor certification, including for Bronze Med and Cross (required)
- NLS certification (required)
- An examiner certification is a significant asset, but is not required
- Participate in mandatory training during pre-camp (June 26-30)
- Daily swim instruction for campers aged 6-16
- Lifeguarding on the waterfront
- Creative program design
- Equipment care and maintenance
- Uphold health and safety standards
- Daily upkeep of the swim area
- Taking on the responsibilities of a Cedar Ridge Staff Member
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform this job.
- Able to swim comfortably in a lake environment
- Able to be active for long periods of time
How to Apply:
Please email email@example.com and indicate the position you are applying for. Include a resume plus any other pertinent information. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.