POSITION: SUPPORT SUPERVISOR
REPORTING TO: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR COUNSELLING
JOB TYPE: FIXED TERM CONTRACT, NON – BARGAINING (SEASONAL)
POSTED DATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED
EXPECTED START DATE: JUNE 13TH, 2022
CONTRACT END DATE: AUGUST 22ND, 2022
Camp Towhee/Towhee Summer Therapeutic Program treats youth with Mental Health issues complicated by
Learning Disabilities. Located in Haliburton, Ontario, Towhee positively changes the trajectory of kids and staffs
lives. This will be one of the most rewarding, magical and hardest places you will ever work. We provide 10 days
of training covering behaviour management, counselling skills, CPI, mental health and learning disabilities.
If you are interested in a career in the social services, psychology or teaching and/or want to play a pivotal role
in supporting children and youth in feeling safe enough to be their genuine amazing selves – Towhee is the
place for you to get real experience, skill building, and be part of that change. Towhee is operated by the LDMH
(Learning Disabilities and Mental Health) Stream of CDI, a year-round children’s Mental Health Centre in Toronto.
CDI is seeking a Support Supervisor, to join our dynamic Camp Towhee team. The successful candidate
should be a relationship builder and team player, with a passion for supporting children/youth, a strong
understanding of the impacts of mental health and learning disabilities on social and emotional behaviour,
experience in both behaviour management/counselling and activity based programming, and experience with
managing and helping organize staff teams towards a common goal. Under the direction of the Assistant
Director of Counselling, the Support Supervisor will be responsible for directly supervising, supporting, and
mentoring the Support Counsellor Team, in addition to functioning as a member of the support team to assist
with the smooth operation of Camp Towhee.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assisting staff and supervisors with pre-camp training and preparation
2. Providing direct supervision, support/assistance and feedback to Support Staff as needed and
3. Providing written performance appraisals throughout the summer
4. Providing direct counselling and behaviour management support to campers
5. Helping to facilitate special and routine programming as needed.
6. Being a part of the greater Towhee Supervisor Team
7. Assist in other areas of the camp by providing direct support and supervision of campers during meal
times, evening programs, bedtime routines and night supervision
8. Work as part of the overall staff team by participating in the planning and implementation of special,
camp-wide theme programs and activities
9. Adhere to, and interpret to all staff and campers the policies, practices, and procedures of Camp
Towhee, and to act as a positive role model at all times.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
▪ Two (2) or more years in a post-secondary degree or equivalent experience
▪ Previous professional experience working at Towhee or a related program within a camp environment, strongly preferred
▪ Experience supervising and/or working collaboratively with a team
▪ Experience working with children and/or youth, preferably our population
▪ Experience with behaviour management and supportive counselling
▪ Personal, professional, or educational experiences in a related field
▪ Ability to assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope of authority of the position
▪ Must have a current and valid police records check with vulnerable sector screening
▪ Bronze Cross swimming qualifications or higher, strongly preferred
▪ Standard First Aid with CPR C
▪ Demonstrated ability to work in a respectful and aware manner with groups from diverse background and experiences.
▪ Fast-paced work environment.
▪ Interacts with campers, other staff, supervisors/directors, family members, and visitors as required.
▪ As needed requirement to lift children (up to 45 lbs.), in addition to bending, stooping, stretching,
squatting, pushing, pulling, sitting, walking, and climbing stairs
▪ Possibility of participation in canoe trip, involving paddling, portaging, hiking, swimming, carrying
equipment, and sleeping in tents.
▪ Noise level can be moderate to loud.
▪ Intermittent physical activity including sitting, standing, walking, running, lifting and generally supporting
campers and staff in camp activities and games.
COMPENSATION: Towhee offers competitive camp salaries, which include room/board, and are subject to
applicant qualifications and previous experience
Please complete the Online Application located at (https://www.childdevelop.ca/towhee/staff/staff-application/)
AND submit your chronological resume via e-mail to:
Child Development Institute
E-mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you in advance for your interest. However, due to the volume of resumes received, only those candidates selected for
interviews will be contacted.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
Child Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value inclusivity & diversity in the workplace. We
actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not
▪ First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
▪ members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual
beliefs, or place of origin;
▪ persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities; and
▪ persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We
value the contributions that each person brings, and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our
Child Development Institute is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. In accordance with the
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Child Development
Institute will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with disabilities. During
any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) you may
require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
All applicants are advised that offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Vulnerable Sector
Note: All CDI employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with CDI Mandatory