POSITION: SUPPORT COUNSELLOR
REPORTING TO: SUPPORT SUPERVISOR
JOB TYPE: FIXED TERM CONTRACT, NON – BARGAINING (SEASONAL)
POSTED DATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED
EXPECTED START DATE: JUNE 20TH, 2022
CONTRACT END DATE: AUGUST 22ND, 2022
Camp Towhee/Towhee Summer Therapeutic Program treats youth with Mental Health issues complicated by
Learning Disabilities. Located in Haliburton, Ontario, Towhee positively changes the trajectory of kids and staffs
lives. This will be one of the most rewarding, magical and hardest places you will ever work. We provide 10 days
of training covering behaviour management, counselling skills, CPI, mental health and learning disabilities.
If you are interested in a career in the social services, psychology or teaching and/or want to play a pivotal role
in supporting children and youth in feeling safe enough to be their genuine amazing selves – Towhee is the
place for you to get real experience, skill building, and be part of that change. Towhee is operated by the LDMH
(Learning Disabilities and Mental Health) Stream of CDI, a year-round children’s Mental Health Centre in Toronto.
CDI is seeking a Support Counsellor, to join our dynamic Camp Towhee team. The successful candidate
should be a relationship builder and strong team player with a passion for supporting children/youth, an
understanding of the impacts of mental health and learning disabilities on social and emotional behaviour, and
experience with facilitating activities and using counselling interventions to address camper needs.
This position is ideal for an experienced Towhee staff (or equally experienced external candidate) where under
the direction of the Support Supervisor, the Support Counsellor is the go to support system for counsellors and
programmers at Towhee. The role involves being responsible for filling in for counsellors during cabin’s
program periods and supporting cabins during camp-wide activities and events. This requires the ability to be
effective in supporting all campers, in all contexts, with their individual and group needs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist cabin counsellors and campers by stepping in to provide support, behaviour management, and
supportive counselling, as required
2. Assist programmers and camp-wide programs by stepping in to facilitate and/or assist with programs,
3. Assist in other areas of the camp by providing direct support and supervision of campers during meal
times, evening programs, bedtime routines and night supervision
4. Support specific higher needs campers and step in to challenging situations as a reliable extra resource
5. Assist with planning and running camp wide activities and special events.
6. Work as part of the overall staff team by participating in the planning and implementation of special,
camp-wide theme programs and activities
7. Adhere to and interpret to other staff and campers the policies, practices and procedures of Camp
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
▪ Two (2) or more years in a post-secondary degree or equivalent experience
▪ Previous professional experience working at camp Towhee, strongly preferred
▪ Experience working with children and/or youth, preferably our population
▪ Experience with behaviour management and supportive counselling, strongly preferred
▪ Personal, professional, or educational experiences in a related field
▪ Ability to assume responsibility and exercise good judgment in making decisions within the scope of authority of the position
▪ Must have a current and valid police records check with vulnerable sector screening
▪ Standard First Aid with CPR C
▪ Demonstrated ability to work in a respectful and aware manner with groups from diverse background and experiences.
▪ Fast-paced work environment.
▪ Interacts with campers, other staff, supervisors/directors, family members, and visitors as required.
▪ As needed requirement to lift children (up to 45 lbs.), in addition to bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, pushing, pulling, sitting, walking, and climbing stairs
▪ Participation in a 3-5 day canoe trip (possibility of a 10 day trip), involving paddling, portaging, hiking,
swimming, carrying equipment, and sleeping in tents.
▪ Noise level can be moderate to loud.
▪ Frequent physical activity including sitting, standing, walking, running, lifting and generally supporting
campers and staff in camp activities and games.
COMPENSATION: Towhee offers competitive camp salaries, which include room/board, and are subject to
applicant qualifications and previous experience
Please complete the Online Application located at (https://www.childdevelop.ca/towhee/staff/staff-application/)
AND submit your chronological resume via e-mail to:
Child Development Institute
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Thank you in advance for your interest. However, due to the volume of resumes received, only those candidates selected for
interviews will be contacted.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
Child Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value inclusivity & diversity in the workplace. We
actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not
▪ First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
▪ members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual
beliefs, or place of origin;
▪ persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities; and
▪ persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We
value the contributions that each person brings, and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our
Child Development Institute is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. In accordance with the
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Child Development
Institute will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with disabilities. During
any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) you may
require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
All applicants are advised that offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Vulnerable Sector
Note: All CDI employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with CDI Mandatory