Harbourfront Centre, on Toronto’s waterfront, is an innovative non-profit cultural organization which creates, for a diverse public, events and activities of excellence that enliven, educate and entertain. Currently, exciting seasonal employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps.
Position Title: Supervisor – Marine Camps
Department: Recreational Learning
Number of Vacancies: 1
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: May-September 2022 (Part-time training starting in May 2022 / Camps: July 4-September 2, 2022) *dates subject to change
Hours: Monday to Friday, 35-40 hours per week (may require weekends for hiring and training)
Rate of Pay: $19.50 per hour
- Assist in training and evaluating Canoe/Kayak Head Instructors, Canoe/Kayak Instructors and Junior Instructors, Instructors-in-Training (IITs), Sailing Head Instructor and Sailing Instructors;
- Observe and evaluate programming throughout summer to ensure it meets programming promise;
- Conduct administrative duties such as daily attendance, evaluations, incident reports, etc.;
- Keep marine supply inventories up to date and in good order; communicating to Assistant Manager when supplies are running low;
- Plan, prepare and oversee rainy day programming for marine camps;
- Oversee marine camps beginning and end-of-day procedures; ensure all stakeholders are updated with status of marine camps arrival to end-of-day locations;
- Oversee and help facilitate end-of-session Sailing Open Houses;
- Assist in staff and camper safety during emergency procedures;
- Provide superior customer service;
- Other duties as required
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Must be 18 years of age at the start of a program;
- Extensive experience Canoeing/Kayaking and/or Sailing;
- Previous experience working in a camp setting and/or with children and youth;
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of daily tasks;
- Ability to lead training and camp activities;
- Ability to remain organized throughout the work day (beginning and end-of-day procedures, end-of-session Open Houses, staff evaluations, incident reports, etc.);
- Ability to bring a positive attitude and enthusiasm to each day;
- Enjoy working with children;.
- Valid Pleasure Craft Operator Card prior to the first day of training;
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification is required;
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required;
- Previous supervisory experience is an asset;
- Valid Bronze Cross, Canadian Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard, or NLS is an asset
- Post-secondary education or training as related to the position is desirable
- Valid G-Class driver’s licence is desirable
- ORKCA/Paddle Canada and/or CANSail certifications is an asset
- Standing for prolonged periods of time;
- Exposure to inclement weather conditions during outdoor and offsite programs;
- Some exposure to rigorous physical activity during paddling and/or sailing;
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply through the Harbourfront Centre Camps Recruitment Portal https://harbourfrontcentre.campbrainstaff.com/ by March 31, 2022. You will be asked to create a profile and will be taken to the application selection page.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your application if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!