Summer Healthcare Assistant
Camp Awakening & Camp Oconto are recruiting
a Summer Healthcare Assistant together!
POSITION: Healthcare Assistant/First Aider
POSITION TYPE: Seasonal/Summer Friday, June 30th -Tuesday, August 29th (Camp Awakening ends on Monday, August 21st)
LOCATION: Camp Awakening Girls’ Program at Camp Oconto in Tichborne, ON
About Camp Awakening and Camp Oconto:
Camp Awakening is a registered charity offering overnight summer camp programs for youth with physical disabilities. Camp Oconto is a traditional girls overnight camp located on the beautiful shores of Eagle Lake north of Kingston, Ontario. Both camps work together to create a supportive environment where campers can express themselves, build self-confidence, gain skills and make lifelong friendships.
Camp Awakening and Camp Oconto are currently seeking an enthusiastic female staff member for the role of Healthcare Assistant. Along with working towards a career in nursing, the successful applicant will be friendly, responsible, well organized, and well equipped to cope with a busy general medical clinic.
In this position, the Healthcare Assistant will work specifically with the Camp Awakening cabin and medical advisory team to support the unique needs of campers with a variety of different physical disabilities. In addition to their work with Camp Awakening, they will assist with the healthcare needs of the rest of the Camp Oconto community. The successful applicant, along with supervising Nurses, will coordinate closely with the Camp Physician to promote wellness and good health in all areas of camp. This position includes room & board and requires the successful candidate to live on-site at Camp Oconto from the end of June until the end of August.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Camp Awakening’s medical advisory team to best navigate the daily needs of campers with physical disabilities, as well as monitor any changes
- Help maintain a clean and well-stocked clinic
- Assists the healthcare team to collect, store, and dispense medications in a safe and accurate manner in accordance with the CNO guidelines
- Assists in the maintenance of accurate confidential documentation on all services provided in accordance with the CNO guidelines
- Assist campers, as needed, with activities of daily living including, but not limited to, personal grooming, transferring, dressing, bathing and toileting
- Clear Police Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR ‘C’ certification
- Proof of vaccination
- Currently enrolled student, returning to university/college in Fall 2023
- Previous experience working with youth and/or adults with physical disabilities an asset
- Previous experience working in a summer camp and/or recreation environment an asset
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Stopping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling
- Ability to lift 20kg
- This position involves working outdoors in various environments and temperatures
Compensation and Contract Details
- Camp Awakening specific training will be held Friday, June 16th-Sunday, June 18th
- Mandatory healthcare centre training is Friday, June 30th
- Camp Awakening summer camp program runs from Saturday, July 1st – Monday, August 21st while Camp Oconto runs until Tuesday, August 29th
- In addition to having a fantastic summer surrounded by positive and engaged team members and campers all room and board are included in your stay at camp for the summer
- Compensation is between $4,600-$5,200 for the full seasonal contract
To Apply: Please email your resume to email@example.com. Please include “healthcare assistant” in the email subject. We will review applications as received.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Camp Awakening and Camp Oconto are committed to employment equity and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We value inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. If you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment & selection process please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.