Summer Camp Director
CAMP KAWARTHA SUMMER CAMP DIRECTOR JOB POSTING
Camp Kawartha is seeking a Summer Camp Director!
Are you passionate about camping and environmental stewardship? Have you had at least 3 years of experience in a senior position at a summer camp (or equivalent)? Are you interested in being part of an award-winning camp, outdoor and environment centre? Would you like to help activate and empower youth to be become engaged caring, compassionate advocates for each other and for the Earth? With over 100 years of experience and plans to become a nationally recognized environmental education leadership centre, Camp Kawartha is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic Summer Camp Director to join our talented team. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits.
If you answered yes… then this could be just what you are looking for!
Located on 185 acres of land, nested in the heart of the Kawartha’s, with straw bale buildings, lakefront and 6.3 kilometers of beautiful hiking trials, Camp Kawartha is a magical place to work. As a not-for-profit charity, Camp Kawartha creates a warm and nurturing community that helps children discover the best in themselves, while they learn to appreciate and value the natural world around them. To find out more visit www.campkawartha.ca
Scope of the Position:
The Summer Camp Director is responsible for overseeing and managing the delivery of Camp Kawartha’s Summer Camp program working under the guidance and strategic direction of the Executive Director.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
To continue Camp Kawartha’s award-winning legacy of providing high quality summer camp experiences that focus on building outdoor skills, fostering teamwork, building self-esteem, connecting to nature, and inspiring environmental stewardship.
- Hires staff within the budgetary framework outlined by the Executive Director.
- Responsible for managing, adhering to and reporting on, an annual site budget.
- Ensures all summer camp operations meet or exceed current OCA standards in all areas and all safety protocols are adhered to.
- Ensures the smooth operations of all summer camp programs including: regular camp, day camp, CSD, LIT, senior canoe tripping, challenge and adventure, junior trips and all other programs related to summer camp.
- Ensures that Summer Camp has a plan for implementing environmental stewardship and nature awareness in all of its programming.
- Ensures the kitchen is properly staffed and provides nutritious, healthy and sufficient food consistent with Camp Kawartha’s Food philosophy.
- Responsible for issuing a comprehensive annual written report. Provides recommendations for the next year’s summer camp.
University Degree in education, recreation, leadership, or equivalent with a minimum of four years experience in a senior administrative capacity in a similar environment. Teaching certificate preferred.
- Extensive working knowledge of the policies and processes relative to camping in Ontario.
- Experience with managing camp programming.
- An understanding of financial management, high level organization, interpersonal and analytical skills, high level communication, negotiation skills; excellent working knowledge of the camping industry.
- Strong organizational skills. Extensive experience in planning and developing camp curricula, as well as modifying activities when required.
- Advanced ability to hire, train, and oversee camp employees, as well as ensuring staff and campers’ wellbeing.
- Proficiency in office software, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
For a complete job description visit: www.campkawartha.ca/employment-opportunities
Please submit your application with references by October 22nd, 2021 to email@example.com
Camp Kawartha is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. The Camp will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs.
Camp Kawartha is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the diversity of our camp community including differences in race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We welcome candidates representing such diversity.