Summer Camp Cook
C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf is a Catholic camp located on 110 acres of property in the town of Rockwood, in Ontario. We operate programs year-round with outdoor education from September to June and overnight and day camp experiences in the summer.
We are currently looking for aCamp Cook/Kitchen Supervisor to oversee the full time delivery of food services at camp.
Title: Camp Cook
Start Date: ASAP
Reports directly to: Camp Director
Salary Range: Commensurate to experience
- Preparing daily meals for 40 – 200 campers and staff (depending on the season).
- Planning weekly menu in accordance with Canada’s Food Guide and preparing food.
- Organizing orders from multiple suppliers.
- Be aware of and ensure strict adherence to standards and guidelines of a camp kitchen with knowledge gained by Ontario Food Safety/Food Handling Certification, combined with knowledge of Ontario Public Health, and OCA Camping Standards.
- Ensure that all food is properly stored, i.e. proper temperatures, appropriate food-safe containers, safe from pests, disposed of immediately after expiry dates, etc.
- Follow a pre-determined cleaning schedule after every meal, day, and week that ensures kitchen cleanliness according to both food safety standards and aesthetic requirements.
- Closely monitor and record walk-in cooler temperatures, freezers, etc.
- Ensure excellent food quality, and sufficient quantity.
- Ensure all special dietary requirements/requests are met (allergies, vegetarian, religious, etc.) by planning and preparing menu options that are as substantial as the regular meal being served, and that the quantity is adequate.
- Responsible for training and supervision of kitchen and other staff in the preparation, serving and cleanup of all meals and snacks.
- Responsible for garbage and recycling management in partnership with Maintenance Manager.
- Set an appropriate example for clients including: cleanliness, punctuality, dress, language, inclusiveness and attitude.
- Occasionally take part in other areas of camp programs, as needed.
- Any other tasks deemed necessary by the director, in cases of emergency, etc.
Along with the above responsibilities all staff will actively participate and follow all health and safety procedures for Camp Brébeuf and the Catholic Youth Organization.
- Must be trained and certified with a Food Handler’s certificate.
- Experience in kitchen management in a camp or catering setting for large numbers of people.
- Knowledge and experience preparing specialty diets is an asset, e.g.: pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, lactose free, tomato free, etc.
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Experience supervising, leading and mentoring staff.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Committed to working as part of a team, and able to work well independently.
- Customer Support
- Rapport with Children
- Problem Solving
Onsite accommodations and meals are available for this position. Come work in our newly renovated, beautifully appointed kitchen!
We invite all qualified applicants to submit their resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Katie Moncrieffe, Camp Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf
For more information about our camp please visit www.campbrebeuf.ca
C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Please contact our camp office for assistance if required.
Job Type: Contract