Spring Intern/Summer Sr. Staff
We are looking for energetic, outdoor enthusiasts who love working with youth to join our team!
Scarborough Outdoor Education School/ Camp Kearney is located in a wilderness setting 30 minutes north of Huntsville on the western border of Algonquin Park. The site, also known as the Scarborough Outdoor Education School, is owned and operated by the Toronto District School Board, and it encompasses 400 hectares of beautiful, rolling hardwood and coniferous forest and includes 2 pristine lakes in the Canadian Shield country. Our programs provide an opportunity for students and campers to discover our natural environment and develop a respect for the wonders they find. Our hope is to find energetic Spring Intern/Summer Sr. Staff that can support the programs, share their knowledge and even develop new skills while at Camp Kearney.
Our programming centres around 5 themes: Adventure, S.T.E.A.M., Well Being, Indigenous Knowledges and Biodiversity and Human Impact. Please visit our website to learn more at: http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/soes/
Once July starts SOES is transformed into CAMP KEARNEY!! We run a full summer camp, with canoe trips, high ropes course, survival skills and camping. The Camp provides programs for kids from 9-18 and has 5, 8, 15 and 21 day programs. Have a look at Camp Kearney’s website to see the programs and details. During the camp, the Spring Inters become the Sr. Staff and facilitate the programs, and lead the canoe trips for the Campers.
Spring Intern Position:
- 4-8 days on shift and 2-6 days off shift. There is week and weekend work
- Pay scale depending on previous Toronto Outdoor Education School Internships: $663.40 (first internship), $680.80 (returning for a second year), $712.80 (returning for a 3rd year) for a 40 hour week (This includes stat and vacation pay as well as room and board)
- Live on site when working, with all meals provided
- Team atmosphere with teachers and specialists who also live on site
- Lead small groups under the supervision of instructional staff
- Assist with prep, running and cleaning up of programs
- The opportunity is there to teach if desired
- Lifeguarding at our waterfront including initial swim screening, for free swims and during canoe programming
- Interact directly with students and encourage positive interaction within the group
Summer Sr. Staff Position:
- Shifts 4-10 days on and 1-2 days off
- Lead group activities, canoe trips and ropes programs
- Participate in Ropes training (Provided)
- Paddle Canada certification training (Provided)
- Camp runs until August 11, 2023
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- National Lifeguarding Certificate is a must
- Valid First Aid (Wilderness First Aid is an asset and necessary for Canoe Tripping) and CPR certification
- Experience working with children grades 3-12
- Good physical condition
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire students through an experiential program
- Ability to work with people as a member of a dynamic team.
- Drivers Class G license, with a minimum of three years experience is an asset.
Transportation and Housing:
- Live on site when working, with all meals provided, co-op students are encouraged to go off site for their time off
- Coach bus transportation available from Toronto with visiting schools/camp sessions as arrivals and departures coordinate with Spring Intern/Summer Sr. Staff schedules in order to ease transportation
Security Clearance Required. Vulnerable Sector Check Police check will be required.