Special Events Head
Number of Positions: 1
Reports To: Program Director
Compensation: $92/day plus room and board
Location: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON)
Employment Dates: Merrywood June 8, 2022 – August 30, 2022 (Full-time, onsite)
Reporting directly to the Program Director the Special Events Head oversees all of the special programs at camp. This includes evening programs, theme days, banquets, dances, and any other programming as necessary. They will work with the program and counselling staff to ensure all special programming is creative, well planned and implemented smoothly.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Develop program goals following the Easter Seals Ontario camp goals & objectives
- Develop a camp specific risk management plan for the Special Events & Fun program.
- Work closely with various staff committees to co-ordinate all of the special events that take place at camp.
- Responsible for completing an inventory upon arrival and prior to departure from camp.
- Orient the entire staff to the Special Events & Fun program.
- Maintain the equipment and supplies and report any necessary repairs to the Site Manager.
- Develop program goals that follow Easter Seals Ontario camping goals & objectives.
Other Job Duties
- Responsible for providing camper care when not programming. This includes; bathing, showering, brushing teeth, hair care, toileting (changing incontinence pads), clean intermittent catheterization, dressing, feeding, lifting and transferring, and any other activities of daily living that the campers require.
- Participate as a member of the program staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events and other all-camp activities.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Ability to observe camper behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Be able to manage physical activities such as standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching as well as daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
Minimum age: 18 years old
2+ years camp experience preferred. Preference given to those with adaptive program and event management experience. Standard First Aid/CPR is required prior to the start of the camp season.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
How to Apply: Please complete our online application form, which can be found at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.