Easter Seals Ontario is an industry leader in providing fully accessible summer camp programs at our two camps, Camp Woodeden in London and Camp Merrywood in Perth. Our camping programs give kids the opportunity to experience a wide range of fully accessible activities such as sailing, kayaking, high ropes course and so much more.
Woodeden Camp is a scenic 107-acre property, home to one of the largest fully accessible residential summer camps in Ontario for children and youth ages 7-26. Woodeden has been owned and operated by Easter Seals Ontario since 1946. For more information about our programs and facility, please visit our website at www.eastersealscamps.com.
We are committed to attracting, retaining and developing a diverse team that believes in and is dedicated to our mission and values.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Recreation and Facilities, the Site Supervisor is responsible for performing building and property maintenance, tracking capital expenditures and the supervision of cleaning and groundskeeping staff for Easter Seals Camp Woodeden. The position includes highly diversified duties to support the operation of a fully accessible year-round camping and recreation facility.
The Site Supervisor works collaboratively as part the Recreation team, engaging with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure Camp Woodeden facilities and staff exemplify the mission and core values of Easter Seals Ontario.
Please note, the successful candidate must be able to live on-site year-round .
Maintenance of Buildings and Camp Facilities:
• Provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of equipment, structures, and grounds on the property
• Performs regular property inspections and prepares reports on the status of buildings, equipment, common areas and general property landscape?
• Ensure effective management of loss prevention, risk management, security, maintenance, marketing, landscaping, snow removal, ventilation, heating, cooling, and other daily activities
• Ensure 24/7 availability of emergency services
• Patrols camp grounds and ensures doors are secure, lights are turned on/off as necessary
• Performs general clean up of all facilities and supervises cleaning staff
• Ensures removal of waste (garbage, recycling proper storage and disposal of hazardous waste)
• Performs minor repairs on buildings, equipment, appliances, sinks, toilets, windows, doors, switches, desks, tables, plugs, etc.
• Inspects swimming pool, deck, mechanical equipment, etc. to ensure it is suitable for safe operation, and/or identify necessary repairs
• Maintains pool, including proper chemical and PH balance for the purpose of complying with mandated safety and health requirements
• Maintains accessibility related building modifications and equipment to ensure they meet and exceed required safety and accessibility standards/legislation: including but not limited to maintenance of ramps, electronic door openings, accessible parking spaces, beds, lift/transfer equipment
• Maintains heating and air conditioning systems, boilers, pumps, fan units, control panels, thermostats, cooling towers, and monitors back up power systems including refueling
• Maintains and has working knowledge of environmental safeguards and alarm systems
• Maintains fire alarms and extinguishers
• Maintains outside grounds and supervises groundskeeping staff (removes snow, ice, and debris, sprays and removes weeds, sweeps, and cleans gutters, waters and maintains sprinkler system
• Prepares, paints, and decorates interior and exterior surfaces as required
• Maintains and operates Easter Seals Ontario vehicles, as required
• Maintains and operates groundskeeping power equipment
Coordination of Maintenance Records, and Documentation
• Keeps accurate records of camp building conditions including but not limited to roof, insulation, windows, doors, heating and cooling systems, and utilities
• Reports on and makes recommendations to Senior Manager, Recreation & Facilities and ESO Senior Leadership team for replacement or purchase of major capital expense items such as major building repairs, HVAC system, roof systems, equipment, septic/plumbing, and parking lot surfaces
• In collaboration with the finance department and Senior Manager Recreation & Facilities, reports on quarterly budget targets and makes projections
• Provides general maintenance status reports for all structures as scheduled
• Requests quotations, supports contract negotiation and submits invoices/quotes for timely approval for all services, parts required to maintain the property
• Responsible for proper electronic inventory system tracking of materials and supplies
• Reads, interprets, and keeps copies of equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service
• Maintains electronic inventory of equipment, vehicle maintenance, manuals, and warranties
• Working with the Senior Manager, Recreation & Facilities, sets and documents priorities for preventative maintenance work orders, maintenance requisitions and scheduled work
• Creates and maintains operating procedures and processes documents/check lists for opening and closing facilities
Supervision and Training of Staff & Contractors:
• Oversees maintenance staff and contractors working at the camp, ensuring proper screening, hiring, training and qualifications in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Occupational Health and Safety requirements
• Plans and prioritizes work for self and staff
• Initiates safety concerns and makes judgment on the best methods of completing tasks
• Responsible for hiring and retention of cleaning and groundskeeping staff, monitoring work quality and providing necessary training and supervision
• Works collaborative with internal stakeholders including but not limited to: Senior Manager of Recreation & Facilities, Human Resources, Manager of Camp Operations and Finance to ensure adequate staffing requirements/budgets, schedules, hiring, payroll, and timing keeping information for cleaning and groundskeeping staff
• Prepares and sets up rooms, or buildings for camp activities, group rental meetings or various other activities and ensures clean up afterwards
• Provides facility tours for donors, prospective rental groups and staff
• In collaboration with the Manager of Camp Operations, supports the development/outreach for camp rentals and strategic partners
• Represents Easter Seals Ontario in the Community
• Performs all other duties as assigned or required
• Attends monthly all-staff and organizational meetings as required
Professional Qualifications, Skills and Required Experience
• High school diploma/GED Completion of a craft apprenticeship (or equivalent education)
• Building trades certificate (or equivalent desired)
• Five years’ experience in site management, including snow plowing, water treatment, carpentry and general repairs
• One year experience in operation and maintenance of buildings
• Minimum of two years’ supervisory experience
• Current certification in First Aid and CPR, WHMIS Training, Water Operator Certification (will facilitate training)
• Ability to perform small repairs
• Knowledge of local, provincial, and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances, and legislation
• Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures
• Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
• Valid driver’s license (G or higher)
Ideal Candidate Characteristics:
• Highly flexible, motivated leader with solid interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and effectively in a diverse working environment with sensitivity, tact and diplomacy
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and ensure organization of maintenance schedule and files in a changing environment
• High level of sound and independent judgment with the ability to create alternate solutions
• Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
• Must be able to live on site year round
• Work Schedule – Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend work
• Adhere to Covid-19 policies and protocols
• 24-hour emergency availability may be required
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and work in a physically demanding environment
• Working knowledge of Microsoft 365 (Teams, Outlook, Word, and Excel)
• Safety equipment will be required, e.g., steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
• Ability to comfortably work both indoors and outdoors (as required by the position)
Salary Range: $45,000 – $55,000
Location: Camp Woodeden, London Ontario For consideration, please submit your resume to Human Resources to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one document and reference “SITE SUPERVISOR, Maintenance ” clearly in the subject heading. Easter Seals Ontario sincerely thanks all applicants for their interest in advance however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Note: The position will remain open until filled and rolling interviews will be conducted as soon as qualified applications are received. No phone calls please.
Easter Seals Ontario is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. Candidates with be provided with an overview of the various elements of the selection process, such as tests, skills demonstrations, etc. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to providing reasonable accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter