Love finding and then amplifying the best in people? Senior Instructors are critical leaders that help us accomplish our goal to be both Your Home in the Forest and The Ultimate Summer Camp Experience. Dedicated, energetic, and committed to providing amazing outdoor experiences, they provide direction and support for our campers and staff. Applicants should aspire to improve their management skills in a supportive small-team atmosphere. Senior Instructors will split their time working directly with the Program Manager on administrative tasks, planning, & projects, as well as in delivering program content like other instructors. Given that all staff and campers stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while camp is in session, the action never stops and, accordingly, applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Very strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must for this role, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
• Deliver outdoor skills and environmental education courses; ensure forest themes are integrated into programs • Assist with the planning & delivery of staff training, Open House, and camp programming
• Lead hikes and outtrips (must be able to hike up to 15kms carrying a pack of up to 50lbs)
• Demonstrate positive leadership for students and campers aged 8-16, as well as for the staff & visitors
• Provide supervisory support, feedback, and mentoring to volunteers, cabin leaders, and instructors
• Act as the program team lead when the Program Manager is not on shift
• Other duties as assigned (e.g. driving campers, staff, and/or supplies; cleaning program areas; admin duties)
• Summer Camp: July 3rd through August 26th. Instructor training: June 18th and 19th. Pre-Camp: June 25th to 29th
• Rental Groups (e.g. visiting school groups) instructor: April, May & June; September & October
• Preference may be given to candidates who can begin in late March/early April and extend through late October
• Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures
• Take ownership for the safety of clients, volunteers, and staff members, including on-the-go risk management
Reporting and Evaluation
• Senior Instructors report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring & coaching from senior staff • A goal-setting & evaluation process will be initiated by the Program Manager
• Continuous feedback and communication amongst staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- A 35+hour advanced First Aid certificate (e.g. Occupational First Aid Level II), or a NL lifeguarding certificate
- Class 5 driver’s license (experience driving a truck and trailer is desirable)
- Other experience and certifications are considered assets (e.g. Class 4 Driver’s License, certifications in paddling,climbing and ropes, outdoor recreation and leadership, and education)
- Compensation begins at $143/day, with an increase of up to $8/day, according to experience and certifications. Free room and board is also included when programs are in session.
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located near Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB*If follow up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).