YMCA Camp Henry
Date: April 6, 2021
Position: Section Head
Location: YMCA Camp Henry (June-September)
Start Date: Late June – September 3, 2021
Compensation: $570, dependent on qualifications and experience
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety ofprograms for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, exploring nature and day trips. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
The Section Head position is responsible for overseeing and supporting the health and well being of campers and staff throughout the summer, establishing and maintaining a camp culture that is inclusive, safe, positive and fun. They are responsible for providing training, supervision, support, and coaching for camp counsellors and ensuring a camper-focused attitude amongst the staff team. They actively contribute to the healthy development of children and youth in our care through building positive relationships and problem solving with counsellors and campers. This position is supervised by the Assistant Director.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality participant programs and experiences that promote and reflect the YMCA core values and mission statement
- Develop positive individual relationships with campers and staff
- Maintain high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Henry
- Ensure that campers’ life needs are met, including dietary needs, medication administration, first aid administration
- Active involvement in facilitating programs with campers and staff
- Assist in training, supporting, and supervising the counselling team throughout the entire operating season
- Communicate with camper families regarding camper experience and assist in camp administrative duties
- Ongoing risk management and crisis response following YMCA procedures
- Responsible for establishing an enjoyable and safe working environment
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday evening each week and will live on site during this time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- G Class Drivers License
- National Lifeguard (preferred)
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Previous experience managing and supervising staff in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and YMCA application form to Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at email@example.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. Deadline for application is April 21, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.