YMCA Camp Elphinstone
1760 YMCA Road
Rate of Pay: $137.69-$140.69/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 15th – August 31st OR September 2nd, 2023
Reports To: Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Section Director. Section Directors are responsible for a specific section of campers and are responsible for camper care, counsellor development and supervision, section-wide programs, and scheduling of programs and activities.
Section Directors are responsible for the overall safety and wellbeing of every camper in their section, and they provide assistance and support to the counsellors in their section in dealing with day-to-day camper situations. Section Directors support and evaluate counsellor performance. Section Directors must have extensive previous camp experience.
Summer Camp Sections
Chapman (ages 7-11) – 2 Section Directors
Dakota (ages 11-15) – 2 Section Directors
McNabb* (ages 5-7) – 1 Section Director
*The McNabb Section Director will also support inclusion for all sections at camp and work with D-Camps and Camp Moomba during their rental periods
Section Directors are members of the senior staff team at camp. The senior staff team will work directly with the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Summer Camp Directors as a leadership team to build a
positive camp culture and ensure the safety and overall wellbeing of all camp participants.
· Provide direct supervision to counsellors in a specific section. Provide leadership and role modelling to all staff.
· Assist with developing and delivering innovative training that supports professional development of staff & volunteers.
· Organize, plan, and facilitate all section-specific programs and events.
· Communicate regularly with parents and guardians in a professional manner.
· Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Class 4 Driver’s License
· Previous experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Pleasure Craft Operators Card
· Certification in at least one of camp’s core program areas (ACCT Level 1 or 2, Paddle Canada, WFA/WFR)
· Lifesaving Instructor