Section Director – Female
POSITION: Section Director
POSITION TYPE: Seasonal/Summer (May 29 – August 21, 2023)
LOCATION: Camp Awakening Girls’ Program at Camp Oconto in Tichborne, ON with some work in Toronto/remotely before camp begins in July
Do you love the outdoors and trying new things? Do you love being social, making new friends and being silly? Do you enjoy going on adventures? Are you a positive role model and want to make a difference in the lives of children and youth with physical disabilities? Are you looking for the summer job of a lifetime? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should consider applying to work at Camp Awakening this summer!
Founded in 1982, Camp Awakening is a registered charity offering overnight summer camp programs that give youth with physical disabilities the opportunity to increase independence, make lasting friendships, develop confidence, and accomplish things they never thought possible.
Camp Awakening is currently seeking an enthusiastic female Section Director for our Girl’s Program at Camp Oconto in Tichborne, Ontario (north of Kingston). Our staff create opportunities for youth with physical disabilities to make friends with other campers just like them and accomplish things that they never thought they could before. Building on over 40 years of experience, Camp Awakening staff are positive and energetic team players and role models who are skilled at adapting activities to meet each campers’ desire for adventure. This position includes lodging & board and requires the successful candidate to live on-site at Camp Oconto from mid- June until late August.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Section Director (SD) is responsible for summer program planning; canoe trips; and the onsite management of the Camp Awakening program
• Review camper applications and conduct intake interviews with all camper families
• Assist with preparations for staff training weekend and host camp pre-camp week.
• With Program Director, ensure compliance with OCA Standards and Camp Awakening policies
• Assist and support campers with all camp activities, including canoe trips/overnights. Adapt and modify as necessary to ensure meaningful participation and inclusion.
• Assist and support campers with self-directed activities of daily living (eating, dressing, toileting, etc.) and personal hygiene routines.
• Complete camper & staff evaluations, reports, inventory, and other administrative duties
• University or college student. Studies in recreation, health or social service fields an asset.
• Current Bronze Cross or National Lifeguard lifesaving award.
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR ‘C’ certification.
• Clear Police Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
• While we are currently in the process of establishing our COVID-19 protocols for 2023, we do anticipate there being a mandated staff vaccination policy.
• Recreation or summer camp experience. LIT or CIT program an asset
• Previous experience working with youth with physical disabilities is an asset
• Previous experience going on and/or leading canoe trips is an asset.
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
• Frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling
• Standing for long periods of time
• Stopping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling
• Ability to lift 20kg
• This position involves working mostly outdoors in various environments and temperatures
Compensation and Contract Details:
• The Section Director contract will begin at the end of May, below are some key dates:
o Camp Awakening staff training weekend Friday, June 16th-Sunday, June 18th
o Pre-Camp on-site training Friday, June 23rd-Friday, June 30th
o Summer camp program Saturday, July 1st-Monday, August 21st
• In addition to having a fantastic summer surrounded by positive and engaged team members and campers all lodging and board are included in your stay at camp for the summer.
• Compensation is between $4,600 and $5,000
To Apply: Please email your resume to email@example.com. Please include “Section Director-female” in the email subject. We will review applications as received.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Camp Awakening is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. We value inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. If you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment & selection process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.