Seasonal Camp Director
Welcome Friend Association is looking to hire a Seasonal Summer Camp Director to lead and run our flagship program Rainbow Camp®.
Rainbow Camp® camp is one of the longest-running camps in Canada for young people who are 2 spirited, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer questioning (2SLGBTQ+), and allied youth.
- Believe 2SLGBTQ+ youth are massively underserved and that what we do will have a disproportionate impact on the world.
- Do this by creating a safe space that allows our campers to be their best and most authentic selves.
- Focus on positive programming that helps build the tools and confidence to accelerate this growth.
This is an exciting time to join us. We are expanding programming with younger campers, more weeks, more campers, and doing our first-ever camp outside of Ontario. We are looking for someone who is excited about where we are heading, wants to be part of leading this new change, and is deeply committed to our mission.
Our Camp Director is ultimately responsible for ensuring every camper is able to experience the complete magic of Rainbow Camp®. This includes the main tasks of hiring and overseeing staff, developing strategies, schedules, training & plans ahead of camp, and/or resolving any operational issues. This role also requires the flexibility of problem-solving any challenges that risk diminishing the camp experience even in the smallest details.
Important Dates and Details:
- Preparation of camp requires part-time work (approx 15-20 hours per week)
- Full-time responsibilities are from May through August
- Living on-site from June 1-August 31 (rustic accommodation provided)
- Staff Dates:
- Spring Staff: June 5-19 (on-site)
- Leadership Team Training Week: June 19-23 (on-site)
- Training Week (All Staff): June 24-30 (on-site)
- Rainbow Camp Dates
- Ontario: July 2-August 19th
- Rainbow Camp Atlantic: August 27-Sept 2
Location: Rainbow Camp is located near Sault Ste Marie (Ontario)
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Previous experience managing and supervising staff in a camp or outdoor education environment (minimum 2 years)
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Experience working with 2SLGBTQ+ youth and awareness of the unique challenges of working with this demographic
- The following certifications are required prior the start of the camp season:
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- The following certifications are not required but will be considered an asset to your application:
- G Class Drivers License
- National Lifeguard certification
- Wilderness First Aid
- Food Handlers Certificate
- Mental Health First Aid
Compensation is dependent on experience, qualifications and hours worked. The expected salary range is $13,500 – $20,000. The position includes room, board, and travel expenses. The Director reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with our Director of Camps.
To apply: Submit a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter please include a paragraph on what excites you about working for Rainbow Camp®. Email our leadership team at email@example.com