Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $125.06-$128.06/day + food/accommodations
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 24th to August 25th OR September 2nd, 2023
Reports To: Waterfront Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Sailing Instructor.
The Sailing Instructors are responsible for designing and facilitating safe, engaging, and camper-focused sailing lessons. The waterfront is one of the focal points of Camp Elphinstone and the sailing instructors are expected and to ensure the program meets BCCA standards while working closely with the waterfront team to ensure that the waterfront delivers exceptional camper focused programs.
During sailing camp sessions, this person may be required to live in a cabin with another counsellor and up to 10 campers, ensuring emotional and physical safety for all.
Sailing Instructors are members of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They will also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support, facilitating early morning and evening programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
· Facilitating experiential and camper-focused sailing lessons to campers ages 5-17
· Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all waterfront equipment. Report issues to the Waterfront Director.
· Work with the other waterfront staff to be prepared and familiar with Camp Elphinstone’s waterfront emergency procedures.
· Ensure the safety of all campers and staff at the waterfront during all swimming and boating activities.
· Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities.
· CANSail Level 1 Instructor
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Paddle Canada (or equivalent) certification in canoeing, kayaking, sea kayaking, and/or SUP
· Lifesaving Instructor