Job Title: Sailing Instructor
Reports to: Waterfront and Program Directors
Supervises: Sailing LITs and Participants
Start date: June 26, 2023
End Date: August 12, 2023
Cedar Ridge Camp provides a classic camp experience for children from Ontario and around the world. We offer a safe, friendly atmosphere for children ages 6-16 to develop physical and emotional skills while learning to live together comfortably in an outdoor environment. While developing an appreciation for the natural setting, Cedar Ridge campers and staff develop self-confidence and independence, creating friendships that last a lifetime.
We are located on Wanamaker Lake in the Madawaska Highlands region of Ontario. While at camp, you will have access to all facilities and equipment while enjoying a daily camp routine filled with incredible programming and unique experiences. This position is for you if you want a valuable, enriching summer job experience and a chance to develop leadership skills in a safe and supportive setting. Please check our website for more information about Cedar Ridge (cedarridgecamp.ca).
Job Goal / Summary:
As a Cedar Ridge Staff member, your primary concern is the physical and mental health and wellbeing of campers. Specifically, the Sailing Instructor is responsible for safely teaching beginner to intermediate sailing skills during daily program sessions. The Sailing Instructor will be responsible for working with staff and LIT’s (Leaders in Training) to ensure the safety of all participants, and the quality of all sailing programs. This includes regular sailing program instruction, as well as any special programs or periods involving sailing.
Candidates should have the following qualifications or certificates, or be willing to obtain them before the start of camp:
- Experience sailing/instructing sailing, or instructing other activities on a waterfront
- Standard or Emergency First aid
- Bronze Cross or higher swim/lifeguarding certification
- Sailing instruction levels are an asset
- Participate in mandatory training during pre-camp (June 26-30)
- Daily sailing instruction
- Creative program design
- Equipment care and maintenance
- Uphold health and safety standards
- Daily upkeep of the sailing program area
- Taking on the responsibilities of a Cedar Ridge Staff Member
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform this job.
- Able to rig and de-rig sailboats, as well as manage any capsizing
- Able to be active for long periods of time
How to Apply:
Please email email@example.com and indicate the position you are applying for. Include a resume plus any other pertinent information. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.