Research Assistant (12 weeks contract term)
Outward Bound Canada
Position: Research Assistant (12 weeks contract term)
Immediate Supervisor: Principal, Curriculum and Education Manager
Location: Toronto, ON (Remote)
Start date: October 2021
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Research Assistant will support the Principal, Curriculum, and Education Manager to articulate through evidence-based research, the value and power of Outward Bound Canada programs. The Assistant will also create tools to both improve quality and streamline efficient delivery of programs by field instructors.
This will be accomplished through the creation, analysis, and presentation of reports, surveys, and questionnaires. The Assistant will have keen attention to detail, strong knowledge of organizing data in spreadsheets (excel/gsheets) and editing using word processing tools (word / gdoc), and will be resourceful in conducting research and curating articles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce and manage data to support product and/or business development.
- Data collection through reaching out to clients and stakeholders, including telephone interviews, one-on-one interviews.
- Design and implement processes and systems for sustainable ongoing survey application.
- Liaise with various team members, networks, and organizations as needed for specific data needs.
- Prepare and assist with the development of reports including content review and preparation, formatting, and presentation enhancement.
- Initial analysis of research findings for draft reports and deliverables to managers and/or clients.
- Curate relevant research articles and keep abreast of new research and current trends through web and literature research.
- Collate and organize testimonials and program reviews for feedback and marketing.
- Research existing data collections, compilations, and/or reporting methodologies.
- Support with the writing of detailed reports.
- Assist in developing/maintaining/updating databases and periodical reports.
- Update and edit activity descriptions and lesson plans for field use.
- Translate documents into ePublications for use on eReaders.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- University degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a research field.
- Strong research and analytical skills with a desire to learn and advance.
- Ability to anticipate and plan for the requirements of a particular task, execute the task in a timely manner.
- Proficient with web and literature searches, synthesizing data, and analysis.
- Candidates must be competent with all Microsoft Office applications, in particular Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with ePublication software is and asset.
- Experience in using electronic document/records repositories is an asset.
- Good understanding of and interest in the outdoor industry.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent presentation skills – able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Effective time-management skills with ability to meet deadlines, and achieve targets in a team environment.
- Passion, personal alignment, and commitment to the mission of Outward Bound Canada.
- Position requires a police background check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
$17.50/hour, 35 hours per week
READY TO APPLY?
This position is in collaboration with Nature Canada Work to Grow program and has eligibility criteria including:
- Be between the ages of fifteen (15) and thirty (30) at the time they are selected to participate in the Project;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada according to the applicable provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
One of the goals of Work to Grow is to diversify and strengthen the nature sector. As such, this opportunity is only available to individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour.
Please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Indicate “Research Assistant” in the subject line.
Application deadline: October 20, 2021, application will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond the technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process.