Red Wolf Logistics Coordinator
Position Title: Red Wolf Logistics Coordinator
Organization: The Pine Project
Location: June-July: 276 Carlaw Ave Unit 302, Toronto, ON; August: Haliburton, Ontario
Position Type: Full-time, contract
Start Date: Monday June 3, 2023
End Date: Sunday, August 27, 2023
Compensation: $9,200-$9,600 commensurate with experience and certification
About the Pine Project
The Pine Project is Ontario’s leading nature connection organization! We offer year-round nature connection programs for people of all ages in Toronto and the surrounding area, including Outdoor School, March Break programs, and highly sought-after summer camps. Each year we engage with over 1,500 children, teens, families and adults. Our programs foster confidence, competence, resilience and a deep relationship with nature in a way that is hard to achieve in more conventional learning environments.
By helping children connect to nature and teaching adults to do the same, we inspire children to respect, cherish, and care for the Earth. We are empowering the next generation of environmental stewards, problem solvers and leaders. Check out our website – pineproject.org – for more info.
This position is all about delivering high-quality programs creatively and effectively to advance our mission and vision of a world where healthy people care for themselves, others and the natural environment.
Red Wolf Overnight Wilderness Camp takes place in a backcountry setting, with campers and staff living in tents, cooking over open fires, and living in harmony with the land. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals with outdoor education experience, particularly backcountry and adventure-programming experience. Working under the supervision of the Camp Manager, the Red Wolf Logistic Coordinator will be responsible for the smooth running of operations and systems at camp.
There are two components to this position. For the months of June and July, the Logistics Coordinator will be helping setup the systems for Red Wolf, supported by the Red Wolf Camp Manager and the Pine Project Operations Manager. This component of the job is 9-5pm, Monday to Friday, structured around primarily office and administrative work to prepare for camp.
The second part of the job is onsite at Red Wolf Camp. Here you will work alongside the Cultural Coordinator and Red Wolf Camp Manager to implement the systems at camp and ensure a safe and fun environment for staff and campers. The Logistics Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing many of the systems that keep Red Wolf Camp organized. This includes financial systems, oversight of camper information, and supporting structure and systems for other areas of camp. They will also work closely with the Operations Manager and the Pine Office in Toronto to coordinate information exchange between Pine’s main office and Camp, supporting smooth arrival/departure days, camper issues, and food deliveries.
- Manage equipment lists and medical supplies, delegating to key staff as necessary
- Create arrival and departure procedures, including shuttle bus lists
- Setup and manage receipt collection and purchase-tracking system for staff
- Assist with planned communications to staff and families prior to camp, and work with the Office Administrator to answer questions from participants and caregivers
- Work with the Operations Manager to develop and implement strong organizational systems for Red Wolf
- Aid in the creation and implementation of camp routines and schedules
- Work with the Red Wolf Camp Manager and Cultural Coordinator to create and implement staff training schedule
- Assist and support groups as needed (covering for staff on days off, and assisting in situations of when additional support for a camper may be needed)
- Responsible for checking communal supplies and coordinating with staff when equipment repairs or replacements are needed
- Run a staff orientation and ongoing training for staff related to equipment and supplies during staff training week
- Oversee the medical tent and track records, supplies and restocking needs
- Management of financial tracking in conjunction with the Pine office
- Restocking craft and program supplies for each new weekly session
- Assisting kitchen staff in getting supplies to and from campsites
- Coordinating shuttle buses and helping oversee arrival days
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid or Wilderness First Responder
- Bronze Cross or NLS Swimming Certification
- Experience in risk management with youth in an outdoor setting
- Experience with or interest in The Pine Project’s philosophy
- Comfortable creating fun and educational experiences for campers
- Familiarization with office management tools and software
- Experience developing organizational systems
- Familiarity with basic budgeting and purchasing practices
- Up-to-date Class G Driver’s License with a clean driving record
It’d be great if you have experience in any of the following areas
- Outdoor and environmental education
- Naturalist experience and knowledge
- Survival skills, wilderness experience
- Experience with the Pine Project (e.g. volunteering, adult programs)
- Experience working with children and youth with diverse learning needs an asset
The Pine Project understands that the cost of certifications can be a barrier to accessing employment in the outdoor industry. If you identify as a member of a disadvantaged or marginalized group, or have faced other systemic barriers to accessing employment, we may be able to subsidize one or all of the required certifications.
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, organized, and flexible
- Able and willing to work as part of a team
- Have good communication, time management, and organizational skills
- Identify with Pine’s mission statement and core values
- Have a desire to further own naturalist/wilderness skills, mentoring techniques, and/or nature connection through professional development opportunities
There are two options to apply:
- Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the “Red Wolf Logistics Coordinator” position in the email subject line.
Your cover letter should be about one page in length and include:
- Where you saw this job posting
- Why you are interested in the Pine Project and the Red Wolf Logistics Coordinator role
- A brief description of your relevant skills, experience and aptitudes
- Applicants who do not meet all of the stated qualifications but have transferable skills, experiences or aptitudes are encouraged to apply and explain their relevance to the role in the cover letter.
- Apply through our online portal here: https://pineprojectstaff.campbrainstaff.com/. The portal will take you through education and relevant work experience (similar to a resume) and ask the above questions (similar to a cover letter)
Apply by January 9th, 2023
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
The Pine Project is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to promoting equity and diversity within our workplace and the greater community. We work proactively to develop a barrier-free selection process and inclusive work environment where team members feel empowered to express authentic ideas and experiences.
We welcome applications from all qualified applicants with an interest in advancing our mission, vision and values. We especially encourage applications from members of disadvantaged and marginalized groups, including those who identify as Black, Indigenous and People of Colour, persons with disabilities, women and/or LGBTQ2S+. If contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodation measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received will be addressed in confidence.