Kinark Outdoor Centre – Minden, ON
3 Openings – Seasonal and Permanent.
40 hours/week – $21-$24 an hour ($43,680-$49,920 annually)
The Kinark Outdoor Center (KOC) facilitates a range of enhanced respite, social recreation, and outdoor education programs designed to meet the specific needs of its diverse client population. Visiting groups include: children’s mental health centers, community living agencies, elementary and secondary schools, colleges, universities, and various organizations serving youth and adults with autism and other diagnosed special needs.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Program Supervisors will be responsible for the oversight of all aspects of the program department including the supervision of Outdoor Educators and facilitating programs for children, families, and groups. Additionally, the Program Supervisor is responsible for: pre-visit communication and screening with visitors, goal setting, safety orientations and program development and scheduling. The Program Supervisor will additionally be accountable to the waterfront operations, high rope operations, program maintenance and will have an on-call responsibility related to the duties related to facility, program, and kitchen problem solving when required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Interact directly with children, families and all other visitors to the Kinark Outdoor Centre and have fun!
- Supervise and mentor Outdoor Educators. Assist OE staff in facilitation of KOC programs and provide support to their day-to-day (including direct childcare).
- Create and ensure a safe and positive environment for program participation.
- Communicate goals of visit, safety requirements, and client needs with all visitors.
- Ensure that pre-visit screening of campers and all visitors is communicated, documented, and internally understood; that safety plans are in place where needed.
- Develop and deliver individualized program packages for groups, including: schools, residential programs, faith-based youth groups, family programs, and respite programs.
- Aid in the administration and implementation of autism specific programs. Assess and make adaptations as necessary.
- Lead the development and delivery of training for Outdoor Educators in collaboration with the Operations Manager.
- Act as an emergency contact person and perform on-call duties on a rotating basis for KOC.
- Assist in facility preparation and equipment maintenance.
- Ensure all agency record keeping requirements are fully maintained.
- Act as leader, mentor to staff and program participants.
- Additionally, duties may include: Acting Waterfront Supervisor, Acting Challenge Course Manager and/or Joint Health and Safety Manager Representative.
- Comply with safety guidelines, emergency procedures, and safe waterfront activities at all times. Fully responsible for all client’s safety.
- Degree or Diploma in Outdoor Education, Physical Education, Special Education, Therapeutic Recreation, Child and Youth Worker, or a related field.
- Current Standard First Aid/Wilderness First Aid and CPR C are required.
- Previous leadership experience an asset.
- Administrative experience, including MS Office Suite, is essential.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, time-management and communication skills.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a child care setting (such as: residential care, camp, school system) with special needs children ages 8 to 18 years.
- Work experience in swimming, canoeing, kayaking, crafts, drama, environmental programming and group games.
- Current National Lifeguard Certification or willingness to obtain (the Kinark Outdoor Centre will reimburse for the cost of obtaining or recertifying certification).
- Certification in canoeing, kayaking, high ropes/low ropes, and environmental programming an asset.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
- Pleasure Craft Operators License or ability to obtain.
- Must have the ability to restrain and physically support children when needed for safety in general KOC activities. Training will be provided.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including a Vulnerable Sector Screening) and Pre-Employment Medical.
- Candidates Bilingual in English and French will be given special consideration.
Apply by emailing resume and cover letter to Ryan.firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting https://kinark.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/432