YMCA Camp Henry
Position: Program Coordinator, YMCA Camp Henry
Location: YMCA Camp Henry
Contract Dates: Late June – September 3, 2021
Compensation: $570, dependent on qualifications and experience
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, exploring nature and day trips. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
The Program Coordinator is a key leadership position on the staff team and is responsible for delivering high quality, safe programs to all our campers. They will establish a participant-focused attitude in all program areas at camp, ensuring programs are fun, creative, safe, and engaging in a way that supports the YMCAs goals and values. With the support of the senior staff team and Camp Director, this position will be directly responsible for the safety and quality of the following programming areas: archery, biking, boating, swimming, arts and crafts, initiatives, outdoor skill building, environmental learning programs, and all sports and games played at camp. This person will report directly to the Camp Director.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Plan and prepare the program schedules for each session and responsible for all program administration paperwork throughout each session
- Develop and facilitate high quality programs that are safe, age appropriate and reflect the mission and values of our YMCA and our YMCA Camping Quality Recommended Practices
- Develop program curriculum, assist in the delivery of programs and ensure that each program area and all special events are run at a high standard of safety and of quality.
- Responsible for managing program equipment and program areas/storage to ensure everything is in safe working order
- Supervise program staff and work closely with counselling team throughout the season
- Responsible for providing all staff with training, support and program resources
- Provide on-site leadership to the daily programs at camp
- Maintaining high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Henry
- Responsible for establishing an enjoyable and safe working environment
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday evening each week and will live on site during this time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- G Class Drivers License
- National Lifeguard (preferred)
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Previous experience managing and supervising staff in a camp or outdoor education environment (minimum 1 year)
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and YMCA application form to Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. Deadline for application is April 21, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.