Are you inspired by towering trees, afternoon paddles, discovering networks of underground fungi, and sparking the next generation’s curiosity in the outdoors? Pod Leaders are our day camp leaders. They teach outdoor skills and Eco Fun courses, lead hikes, orchestrate campfires, and much more. Given that all staff stay onsite at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre while programs are in session, the action never stops, and applicants should enjoy working in a dynamic work environment. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a yearning for an endless summer!
- Responsible for the safety, well-being, and program planning of the campers in your assigned day camp group.
- Deliver outdoor and environmental education courses and integrate forest themes into all camp programming.
Lead hikes and out trips (must be able to hike up to 15kms carrying a pack of up to 50lbs)
- Demonstrate positive leadership/mentorship for students and campers aged 6-16, other staff, & volunteers
- Provide basic first aid to campers in your group
- Assist with evening programming for Overnight Camp
- Other duties as assigned (e.g. driving camp vehicles; regular daily cleaning, working transport bus stop from metro Vancouver/ Squamish.)
- Staff Training: June 24th to 28th, 2023
- Summer season: July 2nd through August 25th, 2023
- Comply with Evans Lake’s policies & procedures
- Take ownership of the safety of clients and staff members
Reporting and Evaluation
- Program staff report to the Program Manager and receive mentoring & coaching from other team members
The Program Manager or Day Camp Coordinators will initiate a goal-setting & evaluation process.
- Continuous feedback and communication among staff members is encouraged
Required Certifications & Experience
- First Aid Certificate (at minimum, an 8-hour basic certificate that includes CPR)
- Additional certifications & licenses are considered to be assets, including a Class 4 driver’s license and certificates in paddling, first aid, lifeguarding, or outdoor recreation & leadership.
- Criminal reference check with a vulnerable sectors search no later than six months prior to the start date.
- Compensation begins at $121.60/day, with an increase of up to $6/day, according to experience and certifications.
- Free room and board is also provided when programs are in session.
- To apply: Fill out our online application form at http://bit.ly/2EwKBRB
- ELFES is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to uphold human rights, we value the inclusion of all members of our community, and we strive to create a safe and fun environment for everyone to explore forests
- We acknowledge that Evans Lake is located at Ch’iyakmesh on the unceded territory of Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation)
*If follow-up with your application is required, for privacy & confidentiality reasons, we can only discuss an application with the applicant (i.e. no agents, representatives or family members).