Personal Support Worker/Care Aide
Personal Support Worker/Care Aide
Number of Positions: 6
Reports To: Health Care Director, Supervising RN
Compensation: $175.00/day + meals and accommodation
Location: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON) and Camp Woodeden (London, ON) each require 3 PSWs.
Camp Merrywood: June 3, 2023 – August 20, 2023.
Camp Woodeden: June 3, 2023 – July 31, 2023.
At Easter Seals Camp Woodeden we run a wonderfully fun and inclusive camp for kids with physical disabilities that includes an amazing high ropes course, climbing wall, arts and crafts, outdoor swimming pool, pottery, archery, arts and crafts, and so much more. We provide a fully comprehensive training to work at camp, including arrangements for any necessary certifications, so no previous experience working at camp is required. A summer at camp includes meeting amazing campers and staff from around the world, learning new skills as part of a close-knit team, and creating experiences that campers will remember for a lifetime!
Reporting to the Health Care Director and/or Supervising RN, PSWs will work within a cabin team to provide bedside and personal care to campers including bathing, showering, brushing teeth, hair care, toileting (changing incontinence pads), dressing, feeding, lifting and transferring, performing clean intermittent catheterizations, and any other activities of daily living. Under the supervision of the onsite RNs, PSWs will administer medications, track camper well-being, complete necessary reports, and support the ongoing learning of our counsellors by modelling exceptional comprehensive care to campers. PSWs work within a Healthcare team lead by RNs and/or RPNs and in coordination with nursing students.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
• Conduct morning, afternoon, and evening rounds. Administering medications, attending to care needs, and reporting any healthcare related concerns to the onsite RN(s).
• Prioritize attendance at camper mealtimes to assist with feeding where required.
• Provide care in accordance with Camper Care Plans and Easter Seals policies and procedures.
• Document all care provided and report on both upcoming scheduled care and any observed changes that may require follow up care or further assessment.
• Role model best practices when providing daily care to campers, acting as a reference for counsellors who are new to providing personal care.
• Participate in safe lifts and transfers including two person lifts, pivot transfers, and use of mechanical lifts.
• Participate in camp activities and assist campers to participate fully in the camp program as available.
• Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual and the heath care guidelines.
• Follow proper infection control practices and use appropriate PPE.
• Report all incidents or accidents that occur in a timely and complete manner.
• Perform other duties as requested by the Health Care Team.
Physical Aspects of the Job
• Ability to communicate and work as a member of a team.
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
• Able to use appropriate lifting technique.
• Ability to quickly get to remote locations on camp property over uneven terrain.
• Observe and report any issue impacting the health and safety of campers or staff to the Health Care Director or Supervising RN.
• Ability to communicate with parents, staff, and administration about camper needs and experience.
Completion of a Personal Support Worker certification program and valid Pharmacology Certificate is required. Previous experience in a long-term care, residential, and/or recreation setting is desirable. Comfortable working with children and youth. First Aid/CPR certification required.
• Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
• It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
• Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
• Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
• Work camp sessions (eight days, seven nights) with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
How to Apply: Application forms can be completed through our website at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions. Please include a resume in the upload area.
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.