Peer Support Counsellor
Number of Positions: 1
Reports To: Assistant Counselling Director/Cabin Leader
Compensation: $55/day plus room and board
Location: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON);
Employment Dates: Contract 1: July 2 -9, Contract 2: July 13 -20, Contract 3: July 24-31, Contract 4: August 4 -11, Contract 5: August 15-22
Peer Support Counsellors are past campers, or are individuals who fit our participant criteria, and are looking to take on an entry-level staff role. Reporting directly to the Cabin Leaders, the Peer Support Counsellors work alongside Cabin Counsellor to provide positive role models for campers. Peer Support Counsellors will help to ensure that the cabin is kept organized, clean, and well-supplied while helping to ensure that camper clothing and belongings is kept organized. Peer Support Counsellors help campers participate in activities and fully engage in the camp program.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for assisting with the supervision of campers during daily activities and assisting where able in the cabins.
- Responsible for health and safety conditions in assigned cabin. Keep cabin clean, sanitary, replace supplies when needed, and promptly report any needed repairs to the Site Manager.
- Communicate with parents/guardians about their child’s care on arrival and departure day.
- Assist the campers as needed to participate fully in the camp program.
- Promote camper independence by providing support and choice options.
- Be a positive role model for campers. Spend time with the campers discussing their successes, problems, challenges and questions.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Assistant Counselling Director/Cabin Leader.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Ability to communicate and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to observe camper behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
Minimum age: 18 years
Have an interest in working with children & youth. Previous work experience or participation in a leadership program is an asset.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible.
- Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours, swim every day, dress-up in costumes and work with children/youth all day.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Will reside in staff quarters in dormitory style staff housing.
- Attendant care will not be provided. Peer Support Counsellors must be responsible for their own attendant care.
- Preference will be given to first time applicants.
How to Apply: Please complete our online application form, which can be found at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.