Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $125.06 – $128.06/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 24th to August 25th OR September 2nd, 2023
Reports To: Waterfront Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Paddling Instructor.
Paddling Instructors are responsible for designing and facilitating safe, engaging, and camper-focused lessons in kayaking, canoeing, voyageur canoeing, and stand-up paddleboarding.
The waterfront is one of the focal points of Camp Elphinstone and Paddling Instructors are expected to uphold a high standard of both risk management and intentional paddling programming. Paddling Instructors will work closely with the rest of the waterfront staff to positively role model and respectfully enforce waterfront safety rules and regulations.
Paddling Instructors are members of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They will also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support, facilitating early morning and evening programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
· Facilitating experiential and camper-focused lessons in canoeing, kayaking, voyageur canoeing and stand-up paddleboarding.
· Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all waterfront equipment. Report issues to the Waterfront Director.
· Work with the other waterfront staff to be prepared and familiar with Camp Elphinstone’s waterfront emergency procedures.
· Ensure the safety of all campers and staff at the waterfront during all swimming and boating activities.
· Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card
· Paddle Canada certification at least one of the following: canoe, kayak, sea kayak, and/or SUP (or equivalent experience)
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· CANSail Instructor
· Lifesaving Instructor