Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: Starts at $125.20 per day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 25th to August 26th, 2022
Reports To: Waterfront Director, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Paddling Instructor.
Paddling Instructors are responsible for designing and facilitating safe, engaging, and camper-focused lessons in kayaking, canoeing, voyageur canoeing, and stand-up paddleboarding.
The waterfront is one of the focal points of Camp Elphinstone and Paddling Instructors are expected to uphold a high standard of both risk management and intentional paddling programming. Paddling Instructors will work closely with the rest of the waterfront staff to positively role model and respectfully enforce waterfront safety rules and regulations.
Paddling Instructors are members of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They will also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support, facilitating early morning and evening programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
- · Facilitating experiential and camper-focused lessons in canoeing, kayaking, voyageur canoeing and stand-up paddleboarding.
- · Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all waterfront equipment. Report issues to the Waterfront Director.
- · Work with the other waterfront staff to be prepared and familiar with Camp Elphinstone’s waterfront emergency procedures.
- · Ensure the safety of all campers and staff at the waterfront during all swimming and boating activities.
- · Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · NLS
- · Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card
- · Paddle Canada (or equivalent) certification at least one of the following: canoe, kayak, sea kayak, and/or SUP
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 successful reference checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · CANSail Instructor
- · Lifesaving Instructor
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.