Overnight Camp Director – Camp Presqu’Ile
Start Date: ASAP
We are looking for a professional, highly organized, motivated, and fun individual to oversee our Camp Presqu’Ile operations. You have experience overseeing all aspects of camp and are willing and able to reside on site during the camp season.
You possess a high degree of professional independence, initiative, self-discipline, and self-direction.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Overnight Camp Director is responsible for developing, scheduling, and overseeing the delivery of a high quality, participant-focused overnight camp program at Camp Presqu’Ile. The Camp Director’s primary responsibility is to oversee and direct all camp activities including responsibility for P&L, staff, camp preparation, closure, and day to day operations. This position is also responsible for overseeing and implementing camp wide activities and theme days. The Overnight Camp Director directs the Camp Counselling team to deliver high quality programming.
The Camp Director is a key leader in the planning, risk management, and facilitation of camp, as well as volunteer and camper support. Key accountabilities for this role include planning, programming, camper and family relationship management, overnight staff and volunteer recruitment and management, as well as occasional support for rental groups utilizing the site. This role includes managing seasonal summer staff (approximately 20 staff members), volunteers as well as seasonal weekend program staff throughout the year.
- Post-secondary education in Education, Outdoor Education, or Recreation & Leisure or related equivalent experience.
- A minimum of five years working at an overnight summer camp or related experience. Experience as a participant or Camp Counsellor at a YMCA is an asset but not required.
- Must have previous experience with budgets, P&L, developing work plans and preventative maintenance schedules, camp opening and closing activities, building, and maintaining relationships with contractors and other 3rd party service providers, parents, staff, and community partners.
- Must have previous experience recruiting, selecting, on-boarding, and training staff.
- Must have NLS, Standard First Aid and CPR-C, Canadian Boating License, WHIMIS
- Recommended qualifications: Class 4 driver’s license, Pool Operators certification (or willingness to obtain)
- Strong use and knowledge of all Microsoft Office 365 products.
- Effective time management and communication skills and ability to work effectively with various internal department teams as directed.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with senior levels of leadership with tact and discretion, and experience dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to adapt and focus on changing priorities given the day-to-day operations and needs of the organization.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet required deadlines.
- Willingness to engage in new projects apart from the day-to-day expected work outcomes.
- Experience and ability to work independently and remotely.
- Must possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License and have regular access to a reliable vehicle and ability to provide a satisfactory drivers’ abstract and insurance upon extension of an offer or employment.
- Must be able and willing to reside on camp premises during camp season.
- A satisfactory criminal reference check (CRC) and vulnerable sector check (VSC) is a job requirement and will be required upon extension of an offer of employment. All offers of employment are conditional upon our receipt of a satisfactory PRC/VSC.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your cover letter, résumé, and completed YMCA Employment/Volunteer Application Form* by 5:00 p.m., Monday, November 22, 2021 to:
Carrie Saunders-Willis, Manager; Human Resources, Health, Fitness, Aquatics
The YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
*Candidates must submit a completed YMCA Employment/Volunteer Application Form (found on the Careers page of our website www.ymcaowensound.on.ca ) to be considered.