Outdoor Educator (Nature Play)
Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Outdoor Educators. This group of individuals are the fabric that holds Evergreen’s Nature Play program together, ensuring a playful, engaging and safe experience for all participants. Their talents and interests are as diverse as their many contributions and each is relied upon for their unique skills, perspectives and experience.
Our Outdoor Educators contribute to the overall success of Nature Play by supporting a culture of experiential learning, place-based activities and connecting with nature in a hands on way.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Outdoor Education (Nature Play) incumbent will utilize their unique strengths to bring our on-site family-based programming to life for audiences of all ages and abilities. They will primarily be responsible for the delivery of Evergreen’s Public Weekend Nature Play & Birthday Parties program. They will welcome visitors to the space and help facilitate safe, place-based activities, as well as provide support for a range of other site-based special events and projects as required. Outdoor Educators (Nature Play) thrive in a dynamic community-based outdoor setting, are mature team-players and strong communicators who believe in the power of community programming, outdoor play and nature connection in transforming people’s lives.
- Deliver engaging public and private educational/recreational programs, primarily outdoor on-site nature-based activities for children
- Support Evergreen’s education programs as needed, mainly in-person and occasionally virtual; programs include Weekend Nature Play, camps (summer, winter, March break, or PA days), clubs (Sprouts, Nature Nuts, Nature School), corporate team building, and birthday parties
- Execute nature-connected programs that represent key values: Place-based, Ecological, Hands-on, Active & Mobile, Arts-infused & Inclusivity
- Execute programming involving the use of natural materials, loose parts & inquiry-based learning approaches
- Engage in reflective practice to troubleshoot and improve upon existing programming
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training, including the benefits of healthy risk taking and performing dynamic and formal risk assessments
- Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and clients and act as an ambassador for Evergreen Brick Works, including liaising with teachers, parents, guardians and volunteers
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Manager in a timely way
- Communicate a summary of program statistics and experience to Manager
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
You have the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years education or experience in children’s environmental education or related fields
- Experience and comfort facilitating in-person and virtual learning experiences for children aged 4 to 14
- Experience delivering educational and/or experiential programs in the outdoors
- Experience working with individuals of different ages, cultures, backgrounds, and abilities
- Current standard first aid & CPR training
- Complete a successful vulnerable sector police reference check
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Experience with Forest & Nature school approaches and/or Nature Connection Routines
- Experience with Theatre & Arts programming
- Experience with any of the following: inquiry-based, emergent & experiential learning, loose parts, play & place-based learning
- Knowledge of Stewardship and Ecological Restoration practices
- OCT Qualification
- Supervised by: Program Manager
- Working at Evergreen Brickworks in Toronto to facilitate in-person programming
- Working outdoors, often in inclement weather conditions
- Weekends and occasional week-days on a casual basis
- Shifts of 4-8 hours
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
- Casual, hourly, up to 12 hours per week
- Hourly rate: $23.15/hour
Application close date: May 1, 2023
To apply, visit our Careers Page | Outdoor Educator (Nature Play)
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this