Outdoor Education Program Facilitator
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $121.65 per day until May 31, 2022; $125.20 per day on or after June 1, 2022
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
- Spring Term Option 1: April 11th to June 19th, 2022
- Spring Term Option 2: April 18th to June 19th, 2022
- Fall Term: September 4th to October 21st / November 5th, 2022
Reports To: Outdoor Education Coordinator / Outdoor Education Director
Applicants interested in summer and/or fall term positions preferred
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
Outdoor Education Facilitators will deliver program instruction, interact directly with children, and provide positive customer service to school and retreats. With the support of the Outdoor Education Coordinators, Facilitators will deliver experiential, participant-focused programming with students from elementary and high schools, as well as adult retreat groups.
Reporting to the Outdoor Education Coordinators, Facilitators will be trained in all program areas at camp and will executive programming following all risk management, policies and procedures, and within the scope of their training. Facilitators will provide support in kitchen duties, facility maintenance, and upkeep as required.
- · Provide the required skills and expertise learned in training to facilitate safe and effective programming.
- · Interact directly with children and encourage interaction between children.
- · Provide positive customer service to all guests and clients from schools, private rentals and retreats, and weddings.
- · Assist with general maintenance, cleaning, and site support duties as required for daily operation.
- · Ensure all participants and staff follow camp rules, respecting each other and the facility.
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · NLS or willing to obtain
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 Successful Reference Checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · ACCT Level 1 or 2
- · Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- · Preference given to those who have studied in a child development or outdoor recreation related field
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.