OUTDOOR EDUCATION MANAGER
OUTDOOR EDUCATION MANAGER
Are you inspired by towering trees, early-morning paddles, discovering networks of underground fungi, and sparking people’s curiosity in the outdoors? Love finding and then amplifying the best in people? The Outdoor Education Manager is a vibrant person who primarily leads the school & community groups’ on-site program team and keeps Evans Lake’s spirit of fun and curiosity at the forefront. Energetic and committed to providing amazing and educational outdoor experiences, the Outdoor Education Manager works as part of a team of two and supports the Director of Operations and Education in the safe and effective operation of camp programs. They help us accomplish our goal to be both Your Home in the Forest and The Ultimate Summer Camp Experience by focusing on providing critical support for the program staff team.
Through a mix of program development, program implementation, and team leadership, the Outdoor Education Manager assists with the overall planning, roll-out, and management of our programs—acting as the lead for the school & community groups (and other non-Summer Camp user groups), and as the assistant for our Summer Camp programs (Overnight Camp, Day Camp, Family Weekends). Applicants must exude initiative and have a can-do attitude, as everyone pitches in. Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills are a must, as well as a love and excitement for forest education. Be ready to dive into a dynamic work environment and grow as tall as the trees.
• Work as part of a team of two to be accountable for the day-to-day delivery of all scheduled programs and activities, leading the program team by keeping them motivated and on task to facilitate our programs.
• Develops & implements forest education themes and experiences into all programming, the site.
(educational signage & installations), and social media
• Role model how to proactively use or develop systems to ensure that equipment is stocked and program areas are maintained.
• Oversee the safety of clients and colleagues, support an ever-improving culture of safe workspaces and model risk assessment as part of normal operations.
• Champion Evans Lake’s policies and procedures and ensure complete compliance by the program team.
• Represent the Evans Lake Forest Education Society, always upholding our mandate and objectives.
• Be a positive role model for campers, colleagues, volunteers, and other community members.
• Actively evaluate our programs and personnel. Provide coaching and long-term feedback.
• Collaborate with other managers to ensure a respectful and cohesive environment for all teams.
• Facilitate a wide variety of experiential, environmental, recreational, and educational programs and activities.
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Consistently excel as an effective and professional communicator.
• Take initiative and promote a can-do attitude.
• Other duties as required or assigned by the Director of Operations and Education or Executive Director such as driving camp vehicles and site cleaning. (Must be able to hike up to 5km and carry a pack up to 20 lbs).
• Ensure the BC Camps Association’s Accreditation Standards and other relevant guidelines are strictly adhered to.
• Implements Communicable Diseases Prevention Plan.
• Assume a lead role in any emergency response.
• Keep our program team accountable to our goals and mission, and adhere to all camp policies.
• Develop and implement training & onboarding for the program team. Assume a leadership role in co-managing all program staff and volunteers, including training, scheduling, implementing programs, and providing supervisory support and feedback
• Complete interviews and make hiring recommendations and the program team.