Outdoor Education Group Coordinator
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: Starts at $126 per day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
- Spring Term: April 4th to June 19th, 2022
- Fall Term: September 4th to November 5th, 2022
Reports To: Outdoor Education Director
Applicants interested in summer and/or fall term positions preferred
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Outdoor Education Group Coordinator.
Outdoor Education Group Coordinators work with Outdoor Education Director in our spring and fall programs to provide positive customer service to schools and retreats and run YMCA programs with students from elementary and high schools, as well as adult retreat groups.
Group Coordinators will host and facilitate groups, delegate responsibility to, and support Outdoor Education Facilitators. Coordinators will role model child-centered behaviour, sometimes leading programs, and providing support in facility maintenance and upkeep.
Group Coordinators will report to the Outdoor Education Director and Assistant OE Director and work to ensure the on-the-ground, high quality programming and experience of all participants.
- · Facilitate the outdoor education experiences of groups and individuals, acting as the host and main contact for assigned groups and rentals.
- · Assist in staff training; support, coach, and supervise assigned staff members for the duration of the season.
- · Maintain YMCA programming & care standards, working to develop and improve new or existing programs
- · Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
- · Interact directly with children, establish and maintain positive communication with staff, teachers, participants, and guests.
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · NLS
- · Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- · Class 4 Driver’s License
- · Ability to work a flexible schedule according to operation needs
- · Previous supervisory experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · ACCT Level 2
- · Wilderness First Responder
- · Occupational First Aid Level 3
- · Paddle Canada Instructor
- · Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.