Outdoor Education Group Coordinator
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $129.53 – $132.53/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Spring Term: April 3rd to June 23rd, 2023
Fall Term: September 3rd to November 4th, 2023
Reports To: Outdoor Education & Events Director
Applicants interested in summer and/or fall term positions preferred
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Outdoor Education Group Coordinator.
Outdoor Education Group Coordinators work with Outdoor Education Director in our spring and fall programs to provide positive customer service to schools and retreats and run YMCA programs with students from elementary and high schools, as well as adult retreat groups.
Group Coordinators will host and facilitate groups, delegate responsibility to, and support Outdoor Education Facilitators. Coordinators will role model child-centered behaviour, sometimes leading programs, and providing support in facility maintenance and upkeep.
Group Coordinators will report to the Outdoor Education Director and Assistant OE Director and work to ensure the on-the-ground, high quality programming and experience of all participants.
· Facilitate the outdoor education experiences of groups and individuals, acting as the host and main contact for assigned groups and rentals.
· Assist in staff training; support, coach, and supervise assigned staff members for the duration of the season.
· Maintain YMCA programming & care standards, working to develop and improve new or existing programs
· Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
· Interact directly with children, establish and maintain positive communication with staff, teachers, participants, and guests.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Pleasure Craft Operators Card
· Class 4 Driver’s License
· Ability to work a flexible schedule according to operation needs
· Previous supervisory experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· ACCT Level 2
· Wilderness First Responder
· Occupational First Aid Level 3
· Paddle Canada Instructor
· Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience