Outdoor Education & Events Assistant Director
Date Posted: June 29, 2021
Position Title: Outdoor Education & Events Assistant Director
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone: Gibsons, BC
Terms: Seasonal Contract, Full-time
Hiring Range: $130.00 per day
Start Date: August 24, 2021
End Date: December 31, 2021
Reports To: Outdoor Education Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. Camp Elphinstone operates as a residential summer camp during July and August offering programs like one and two week camp, Sailing Camp, Leadership Development, and out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Recreation and Retreat Centre for schools, businesses, clubs, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 400 people and has programs and equipment for swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature and Scope:
The Outdoor Education & Events Assistant Director will work closely with the Outdoor Education Director to provide leadership to our fall programs and manage the on-site day-to-day operations of camp. They will support program staff to exceed the expectations of participants, guests, teachers, and chaperones. The Outdoor Education & Events Assistant Director will host and facilitate groups, delegate responsibility to and support program staff, handle administrative duties and provide excellent customer service to registered and prospective groups.
The Outdoor Education & Events Assistant Director will build and foster positive relationships with clients and external relationships and assist in maintaining a strong, inclusive and camper-focused culture and community.
This position is contingent on programs being operational based on public health guidelines and any other relevant factors.
- Assist with the supervision of Outdoor Education & Events programs and staff during operating seasons
- Assist in delivering innovative training that supports professional development of staff and volunteers
- Administrative tasks include managing bookings with online software, processing payments and refunds, reporting, and providing customer service
- Scheduling activities and food allocations for multiple groups while maintaining staffing ratios and operating procedures
- Implement strategies that achieve and sustain program growth for Outdoor Education & Events programs
- Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards, policies, procedures and crisis response following YMCA procedures
- Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- NLS (National Lifeguard Certificate)
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- Class 4 Driver’s License or willing to obtain
- ACCT Level 2 an asset
- Paddle Canada Instructor an asset
- Occupational First Aid Level 3 an asset
- Ability to work a flexible schedule according to operation needs
- Previous supervisory experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
- Administrative experience, background in customer service, computers and general office procedure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience
- 3 Successful Reference checks
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA vision and values, and an orientation to service, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA
Philanthropy: Demonstrates a personal responsibility for the YMCA as a charity
Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
Outcome Thinking: Visualizes, understands and articulates YMCA outcomes and formulates strategies, plans and
actions for achievement
Quality Focus: Ensures YMCA programs and services are superior
Teamwork: Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness
Application deadline: Ongoing
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.