Outdoor Education Assistant Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Salary: $40,000 annually + benefits package
Position Status: Full time
Start Date: March 1st, 2022
Reports To: Outdoor Education Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
The Outdoor Education Assistant Director will work closely with the Outdoor Education Director to provide leadership to our spring and fall school programs and private rentals. They will support Outdoor Education Coordinators and program staff to exceed the expectations of participants, guests, teachers, and chaperones. The Assistant Outdoor Education Director will host and facilitate groups, delegate responsibility to and support Outdoor Education Coordinators and program staff.
The Outdoor Education Assistant Director will provide customer support and administration throughout the group booking process and work with the Outdoor Education Director to oversee all aspects of private event experiences, including planning, delivery, and follow up.
The Outdoor Education Assistant Director will build and foster positive relationships with clients and external relationships and assist in maintaining a strong, inclusive and camper-focused culture and community.
- · Assist with the supervision of Outdoor Education and Private Event programs during operating seasons
- · Develop & deliver innovative training that supports professional development of staff and volunteers
- · Implement strategies that achieve and sustain program growth for Outdoor Education and Private Event programs
- · Assist in scheduling activities for multiple groups while maintaining staffing ratios and operating procedures.
- · Provide customer service throughout the booking process; scheduling groups based on availability; generating rental agreements, taking payments; and maintaining client communication
- · Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards, policies, procedures and crisis response
- · Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- · NLS
- · Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- · Class 4 Driver’s License or willing to obtain
- · ACCT Level 2 or willing to obtain
- · Ability to work a flexible schedule
- · Previous supervisory experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Wilderness First Responder
- · Occupational First Aid Level 3
- · Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will be considered for subsequent rounds of hiring if positions are still vacant.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.