Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: Starts at $125.20 per day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 8th – August 27th, 2022
Reports To: Assistant Summer Camp Directors, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Out-tripping Director.
The Out-tripping (OT) Director is responsible for the planning and preparation of out-trips occurring each session. They will provide expertise, experience and skills specific to out-tripping and instruction in outdoor leadership skills.
The OT Director will supervise, support, and train the 3 Out-trippers. Part of this training will include leading staff training backpacking/canoe trips in June. The OT Director will provide assistance and leadership to other staff pertaining to outdoor living skills and practices.
The OT Director is a member of the senior staff team at camp. The senior staff team will work directly with the Summer Camp Director and Assistant Summer Camp Directors as a leadership team to build a positive camp culture and ensure the safety and overall wellbeing of all camp participants
- · Provide direct supervision to the 3 Out-trippers. Provide leadership and role modelling to all staff.
- · Assist with developing and delivering innovative training that supports professional development of staff & volunteers.
- · Ensure that all out-tripping policies/procedures and Camp Elphinstone’s high risk management standards are met at all times by all participants and staff while on on-site overnights or off-site out-trips.
- · Assist with planning and scheduling overnights and out-trips. This includes scheduling cabins and staff, coordinating transportation, ensuring groups are prepared with gear, food, and supplies, ensuring required paperwork is submitted by staff, and ensuring participants have completed necessary competencies and program prior to leaving site.
- · Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
- · Wilderness First Responder (80 hr)
- · NLS
- · Class 4 Driver’s License
- · Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- · FoodSafe Level 1
- · Previous experience planning and leading extended backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak trips with children
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 successful reference checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Paddle Canada certification
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.