Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $126.45 – $128.45/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 14th – August 25th, 2023
Reports To: LD/OT Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Out-tripper.
Out-trippers are responsible for executing a camper-focused out-tripping program that meets BCCA standards and YMCA risk management standards. Out-trippers will work with the Out-tripping Director to ensure that all tripping equipment is properly maintained and in safe working order.
While actively involving camper cabins and counsellors in the pre-trip process, the out-trippers will plan, prepare, and lead 1-9 day backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak trips in Howe Sound, the Sunshine Coast Trail, Powell Lakes, Desolation Sound, Sechelt Inlet and more. They will ensure that Leave No Trace principles are followed and taught on-trip, and they are responsible for the overall safety and experience of both campers and staff.
Out-trippers are members of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will be responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They may also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support, facilitating early morning and evening
programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
· Facilitating experiential and camper-focused backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak out-trips with children ages 8-17.
· Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all out-tripping equipment. Report issues to the Out-tripping Director.
· Ensure that all staff and participants are following Camp Elphinstone’s out-tripping policies and procedures at all times.
· Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities.
· Age 19+ by July 1, 2023
· Wilderness Advanced First Aid (40 hr) or Wilderness First Responder (80 hr)
· FOODSAFE Level 1
· Experience leading backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak trips in the backcountry with children
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 Successful Reference Checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Assistant Overnight Guide – SKGABC
· Paddle Canada certification