Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: Starts at $125.20 per day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 15th – August 26th, 2022
Reports To: Out-tripping Director, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Out-tripper.
Out-trippers are responsible for executing a camper-focused out-tripping program that meets BCCA standards and YMCA risk management standards. Out-trippers will work with the Out-tripping Director to ensure that all tripping equipment is properly maintained and in safe working order.
While actively involving camper cabins and counsellors in the pre-trip process, the out-trippers will plan, prepare, and lead 1-9 day backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak trips in Howe Sound, the Sunshine Coast Trail, Powell Lakes, Desolation Sound and more. They will ensure that Leave No Trace principles are followed and taught on-trip, and they are responsible for the overall safety and experience of both campers and staff.
Out-trippers are members of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They will also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support,
facilitating early morning and evening programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
- · Facilitating experiential and camper-focused backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak out-trips with children ages 8-17.
- · Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all out-tripping equipment. Report issues to the Out-tripping Director.
- · Ensure that all staff and participants are following Camp Elphinstone’s out-tripping policies and procedures at all times.
- · Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities.
- · Age 19+ by July 1, 2022
- · Wilderness Advanced First Aid (40 hr)
- · NLS
- · FOODSAFE Level 1
- · Experience leading backpacking, canoe, and sea kayak trips in the backcountry with children
- · Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- · 3 Successful Reference Checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · Assistant Overnight Guide – SKGABC
- · Paddle Canada certification
- Wilderness First Responder (80 hr)
Please submit your cover letter and resume here.
Application Deadline: Ongoing until filled.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.