Office Manager/Registrar (Full Time)
Responsible to: Administrative Director (or her designate) and/or Executive Director (or his designate)
Mission Statement: To achieve and sustain the highest standards of excellence in camper care, innovative programming and Jewish identity building in order to ensure that all campers and staff grow, thrive and have fun at Camp Northland by making lifelong friends, buildings life-skills, appreciating nature and respecting one another.
Location: Year-round in Thornhill, Ontario with possible spring/summer seasonal work in Haliburton, Ontario
Position Overview: Camp Northland is a growing and vibrant inclusive camp, dedicated to giving every child an amazing Jewish Camp experience. It is located in the beautiful Haliburton Highlands with a history of almost 80 years on our majestic 750-acre site on Moose Lake. Camp Northland is a meaningful work experience impacting the lives of thousands of children and youth across Ontario. This role is focused on the successful administrative management and development of the camp year-round. The incumbent will provide support to all administrative, accounting, fundraising logistics and communication needs, as well as serving as part of the camp leadership team. Through all this, the Office Manager/Registrar will embrace the mission and vision of Camp Northland ensuring a strong Judaic values-based mission is being achieved.
Scope of Responsibilities: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Office Manager will be part of the leadership team in support of the Associate Director while managing the office (and office summer support staff), registration, financial and administrative duties related to camp’s operation. This includes database and financial management and recordkeeping, administrative management, parent and guest care, website support and overseeing office equipment and communication/information systems. The incumbent may be asked to reside on camp property during the summer camp months working 6 days a week (mid June to early Sept) and work, with a regular 5-day work week at the Thornhill office for the balance of the year, opening and closing the office and maintaining a daily presence as needed. Additional working expectations include being present at Camp Northland events, functions, weekend experiences and programs, and Camp Northland Management (Leadership) Team meetings, as well as having work schedule flexibility to meet the needs of the camp (including availability for retreat groups during the camp’s rental season in August and September).
- Exhibit a spirit of cooperation, flexibility and commitment to the camp leadership team relationship and the mission and vision of Camp Northland and The Jewish Camp Council of Toronto
- Oversee and manage day to day banking: preparation and deposit of all cheques / cash received, breakdown of all bank deposits and process bills
- Manage and facilitate all elements of camp registrations including: preparation of new registration and medical forms, process all registrations, manage waitlist and ensure integrity of the database (CampMinder) is maintained
- Manage and develop camp systems that provide an increasing positive experience for campers, staff, parents and guests
- Responsible for timely development, proofing and delivery of ongoing key communication to parents, alumni, rental groups and the public
- Responsible for assisting staff and Camp Northland management team member with website updates, promotions, staff recruitment and social media management
- Collate and prepare expense statements and personal reimbursement summaries for full-time Camp Northland staff, in collaboration with part-time bookkeeper from time to time
- Assist in donor management, donor development, and fundraising initiatives and systems.
- Become familiar with and fluent in our donor CRM (Bloomerang) to offer support to fundraising staff as needed, and issue tax receipts to donors
- Provide updated financial reports to treasurer as requested. Work to prepare financial reports and support for all annual audit requirements.
- Ensure the Administrator’s manual and databases are kept up to date to ensure that there is documentation and clarity of all aspects and expectations of the job
- Support Associate Director or his designate in the administrative needs for rental groups
- Arrange for summer preparation elements: tuck shop, seasonal requirements, clothing orders, staff clothing, staff communication, departures, arrivals, luggage, travel, logistics and transportation, busing, and promotion/marketing of camp
- Creatively present new ways we can be more effective in customer service, administration, summer programming and systems related to all camp experiences both during the summer and throughout the year
- Job responsibilities are subject to change, at camp’s discretion
In addition to the above, year-round and during the summer camp season:
- Answer and appropriately respond to incoming calls, voice mail and general email in a timely manner
- Pick up and distribute incoming mail
- Welcome guests, parents and campers with a professional, friendly and courteous manner
- Maintain office supplies: monitor inventory, anticipate requirements, place orders and process invoices
- Oversee office equipment and communication/information systems: inventory, maintenance, troubleshooting, staff training and managing vendor contracts
- Manage administrative needs for camper sessions, special programs or visits to camp, alumni and friends weekend, tuck orders and inventory, rental group or partner collaboration support as may be needed (medical info, dietary restrictions, registration, tuck etc)
- Oversee and be responsible for day-to-day financial requirements including invoicing, petty cash and expense reports
- Oversee Tuck Shop manager and implementation of tuck financial and inventory management
- Manage administrative needs around summer staff requirements and supports including the entering all staff information into CampMinder database, obtain and file relevant staff documents, oversee design and ordering of staff shirts, manage weekly preparation for incoming/outgoing camps
- Other duties or special projects as requested by the Executive Director
- Planning and Organizing – Manages multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities. Anticipates obstacles and demonstrates judgment and flexibility to adjust as required.
- Results Orientation – Demonstrates a focus on finishing all tasks in a timely manner while taking complete ownership of tasks with attention to detail.
- Adaptability – Adapts and responds to changing conditions, priorities, technologies and requirements. Can collaborate in a variety of situations and with diverse individuals.
- Service Orientation – Strives for excellence, delivering the highest quality care and resources possible to those we serve.
- Communication – Expresses and transmits information with consistency and clarity; adapts communication to respond to audience or situational requirements.
- Innovative & “Can Do” Attitude – Able to think creatively to develop new solutions that meet current and future needs. Looking to grow and learn within the camp context and as part of Camp Northland, with an outlook that is positive, assertive and flexible, striving to take on challenges with a sense that “I can do it”.
- Problem Solving – Possesses the ability to break a situation/task down into smaller pieces to identify key issues, figuring out cause and effect relationships in order to problem-solve. Initiative and ability to anticipate needs and provide solutions/options, particularly when confronted with ambiguity and a high degree of change.
- Commitment to the mission, vision and core values of Camp Northland and The Jewish Camp Council of Toronto
- Able to act independently while also being a valuable team player
- Have strong communication, administrative and problem-solving skills
- Previous experience with CampMinder, and Bloomerang (or similar donor CRM) is a strong asset
- Demonstrated high proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Office 365, basic accounting and banking, database management
- Stamina, energy and enthusiasm to sustain a fast-paced schedule and to juggle the multiple events, schedules and budgets of camp
- 3-5 years experience in a similar role
- A valid driver’s license
- Valid and current vulnerable sector criminal background check
- Must have First Aid and CPR certification valid and maintained at all times
Compensation: Camp Northland offers competitive compensation and benefits.
To Apply: Qualified candidates may apply by March 18, 2022 to Simon Wolle, Executive Director by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application should include at a minimum your C.V., a letter explaining why you would be an excellent candidate for this position, and two letters of recommendation. Creative portfolios, supplemental dynamic videos, social media links, or links to prior work products, are welcomed and encouraged. All responses will be handled in confidence.
Early submission is encouraged, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Camp Northland is committed to employment equity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. If you require an accommodation at any point during the hiring/employment process please let us know as we will work with you to meet your needs. All responses will be handled with strict confidence.