Living for now, memories forever! Camp Tamakwa is a children’s overnight summer camp in Algonquin Park located 2.5 hours north of Toronto. Founded in 1936, Tamakwa is home to over 250 boys and girls aged 7-16. Our intimate camp size allows for small camper to staff ratios where campers feel supported in every aspect of daily camp life. Tamakwa prides itself on traditional values, camp spirit, safety and skill development. Tamakwa’s rich traditions, family atmosphere, and unique site distinguishes itself, along with numerous watersports, landsports, creative arts, outdoor skills activities, as well as a premier canoe tripping program.
For over 85 years Tamakwa has been providing campers from all around the world a chance to develop important life skills, build self confidence, foster lifelong friendships, and embrace traditional camping values. While thousands of alumni have achieved incredible milestones, including winning a Grammy, a Golden Globe, running for US Senate and even going to outer space, they look back on their years at Tamakwa as some of the best in their lives.
Camp Tamakwa is hiring Nursing Staff for summer 2023!
- The successful applicant will be friendly, customer-service oriented, responsible, well-organized and able to cope with a busy clinic atmosphere.
- Our nursing staff look after all of the various health needs of our campers and staff.
- The nurses work closely with the on-site camp physician to promote good health and provide health care when required.
- Tends to injuries.
- Ensures that the clinic is kept clean and stocked with appropriate supplies and medications
- Keeps clear, accurate and concise records on all campers and staff.
- Keeps a daily medical log and maintains and documents the camper/staff chart.
- Dispenses and keeps a record of daily medications administered.
- Keeps track of patients requiring follow-up visits for medical care.
- Observes at all times all areas of camp to ensure optimum levels of health and safety for campers and staff.
- Make sure that medications brought to camp are locked in the medication cupboard in the clinic unless discussed and approved by the camp doctor.
- Provides first aid kits for cabin cookouts (three Mondays each month) and restocks them after each cookout. Epi-Pens and camper medication given to the counsellor before departure.
- Obtains lists of campers and staff scheduled for upcoming canoe trips and discusses special needs with the head tripper as well as individual trippers. Provides specific medications as required by campers/staff to the tripper. Non-participation in canoe tripping is a joint decision made by the doctor, camp director and head tripper.
- Prepares and maintains a first-aid kit for each tripper. Each kit is to be returned for inspection following each canoe trip for re-stocking if necessary.
- One nurse is always on-call during non-clinic hours
Approximate Daily Schedule:
9:30am Interface with Trippers for upcoming canoe trips (medications, allergies and first aid kits)
10:00am Clinic Call (during first activity period)
7:00pm Clinic Call (after dinner)
What you can look forward to:
- Full room and board for the summer included
- Incredible camp food! Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and a late night staff snack daily
- Competitive salary
- Staff recreation nights, fun events, pre-camp training
- Access to fun activities during free time such as swimming, SUP, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, staff gym, basketball court, and more
- A rewarding summer helping kids, making new friends and unforgettable Tamakwan memories!
- Be enrolled in a Canadian Nursing Program
- Paediatric or camp experience a plus
- Ability to manage health forms and paperwork
- Hard-working, enthusiastic and committed to the safety and well-being of campers and staff
Please apply by visiting https://tamakwa.com/work-at-summer-camp/ to complete our staff application.
Spend your summer in beautiful Algonquin Park and on the sunny shores of Tea Lake!