Northern Ontario Instructor (Full Time and Seasonal)
Outward Bound Canada
Position: Northern Ontario Instructor (Full Time and Seasonal)
Immediate Supervisor: Northern Ontario Program Manager
Start date: Full Time Fixed-Term Contract, 6 month contract:
May 1, 2021 – November 1, 2021
Seasonal or Casual:
May 1, 2021 – November 1, 2021
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support. https://www.outwardbound.ca/our-impact/
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Outward Bound Canada has prioritized the health and wellbeing of our employees, participants and the wider community. As of August 2020, we resumed some of our programs and implemented new COVID-19 Field Procedures to prioritize the health and safety of staff and participants. We are looking forward to a renewed connection with youth in nature in 2021.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Outward Bound Canada is looking for enthusiastic, hardworking individuals who have the credentials and capacity to work providing exceptional educational programming to students. Our students include both school and community groups as well as individuals looking for challenging journeys of self-discovery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the health and well-being of students while on program.
- Effectively utilize group and risk management skills, maturity and role modeling in line with the values of OBC to create a safe and supportive environment for student-centered learning.
- Facilitate positive peer interactions among students.
- Manage in-field risk management decisions including the mitigation of infectious disease.
- Present clear and effective lessons to engage students in learning.
- Utilize different methods and styles of teaching.
- Monitor, assess and evaluate students.
- Work effectively with different populations.
- Achieve the objectives of the Outward Bound Canada National Safety Policy.
- Complete various program-related administrative documents and tasks.
- General program support regarding the base of operations including but not limited to inventory, repairs, maintenance, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Minimum two full seasons of work experience leading wilderness trips including but not limited to canoeing and winter.
- Commitment to the growth and development of social and emotional skills, resilience and environmental leadership in youth.
- Compassion for people and for the health of the environment.
- Understanding and application of Outward Bound Canada methods and philosophy.
- Proficient in behaviour management, crisis intervention and problem-solving.
- Experience in maintaining a positive staff team and environment.
- Well practiced in communicating effectively with a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to establish effective rapport with staff and students.
- Ability to instruct canoe tripping, backpacking, wilderness travel, campcraft skills, ground initiatives, low ropes, rock climbing, and high ropes elements and assess associated risks.
- Comfort in working with youth from various backgrounds.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) & CPR-C
- Bronze Cross or NLS (preferred)
- F-Class (or equivalent) Driver’s License (an asset)
- Whitewater Rescue Technician (an asset)
- ORCKA Canoe Tripping 3 (an asset)
- Paddle Canada Wilderness Camping Instructor + Canoe Tripping Introductory Level Instructor (an asset)
- Post Secondary education in outdoor education, adventure therapy, or relevant field.
- Position requires a police background check including Vulnerable Sector Check.
Work is to be completed within the Ontario program region including but not limited to Huntsville, Toronto and the expedition regions of each program.
- Full time (6 month contract), pay range: $45,000 – $50,000/yr (prorated to contract duration) & benefits
- Seasonal Instructor, pay range: $150-250/day
READY TO APPLY?
- Finalize your cover letter and resume, ideally in one pdf file. MS Word is also ok. â€¨
- Fill out this webform: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=8ef15d78cef64aaa9a100ec4a6eb5eba
- Attach your cover letter and resume to the webform. Note: you cannot complete the webform without this step.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Diversity of experience and skill combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and all other equity-seeking groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.