Northern Ontario Course Director (Full Time and Seasonal)
Outward Bound Canada
Position: Northern Ontario Course Director (Full Time and Seasonal)
Immediate Supervisor: Northern Ontario Program Manager
Location: Huntsville area
Number of Positions: 1 Full Time, 2 seasonal
Type: Full Time Fixed-Term Contract OR Seasonal Contracts
Date ranges: May 2021 – November 2021
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers, to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Outward Bound Canada has prioritized the health and wellbeing of our employees, participants and the wider community. As of August 2020, we resumed some of our programs and implemented new COVID-19 Field Procedures to prioritize the health and safety of staff and participants. We are looking forward to a renewed connection with youth in nature in 2021.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Northern Ontario Course Director will oversee and manage Outward Bound courses, from course planning and preparation, through implementation and wrap-up, serving as the primary link between program management and Instructors. This is a great position for those who have spent considerable time leading expeditions and looking for an introduction to a supervisory role working with seasoned instructors. Our expedition areas range from Algonquin Park to Western Quebec and Northern Ontario.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the primary link between program management and Instructors.
- Oversight of Health and Safety.
- Assist in the adherence to the National Safety Policies and Standards and in the development of Local Operating Procedures and New Program Plans.
- Run and oversee staff training according to individual, technical and educational skills.
- Schedule staff team with Manager.
- Handle emergency phone calls from the field, troubleshoot with field and staff, and coordinate field evacuations.
- Manage program sites, serving as a trainer and mentor.
- Mentor in-field risk management decisions including the mitigation of infectious disease.
- Maintain professional presence and relations at sites, with outside agencies, and area agencies.
- Thorough completion of all course planning tasks and general readiness prior to student arrival.
- Oversee and manage the entire course from course planning, implementation, and wrap-up, ensuring completion of all course end paperwork.
- Perform student medical screening and follow-up.
- Step into the Instructor role as program needs dictate.
- Issue and maintain program equipment
- Coordinates the transfer of course information from key sources to instructors.
- Coordinate logistics as needed during busy times such as supporting sites, driving and packing food.
- Ensure completion of all course end paperwork.
- Reconnaissance of new course areas.
- Supervise and provide additional training for interns, student teachers and support staff working with assigned courses.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- 3-5 years as a field instructor with Outward Bound or similar program.
- Knowledge of OB programs and philosophy.
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills.
- Strong technical skills and working knowledge specific to canoeing, backpacking, and wilderness expeditions.
- Demonstrated successful working relationships with peers and other management staff.
- Effective trainer, able to accurately assess staff and teach a variety of learners.
- Able to smoothly and diplomatically manage diverse staff, creatively and effectively facilitating conflict if necessary.
- Ability to manage more than one course at a time.
- Ability to problem-solve, prioritize and manage multi-tasks successfully within tight timelines and high stress.
- Strong and effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Demonstration of inclusive language.
- Knowledge and experience with diverse populations and social justice is preferred.
- Familiarity with Ontario wilderness expedition areas.
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) & CPR-C
- Bronze Cross / NLS
- F-Class (or equivalent) Driver’s License
- Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT) (an asset)
- Moving Water Paddling Certification (an asset)
- Post-secondary education in one of the following fields: education, recreation, therapy (an asset).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Full Time, 6 month contract term, pay range $47,000 – 52,000/yr (prorated to duration of contract) + benefits
- Seasonal, $175-250/day
READY TO APPLY?
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=8ef15d78cef64aaa9a100ec4a6eb5eba
Please identify the position as “Northern Ontario Course Director” when you apply.
Application deadline: Open Until Filled
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer, we recognize that people come with a wealth of experience beyond the technical requirements of a job, if your experience is close to what you see listed, please consider applying. Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. We encourage applications from all individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage during the hiring process.